Habitat - Indoor :: Best/Favorite filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 am   Best/Favorite filter

Hi everyone, so I'm upgrading my tank from a 20 gal to a 50 gal, and consequently I need to upgrade the filter as well. What are people's favorite brands of filter? I'm leaning towards a fluval 405 but I'm wondering if there's something better out there?
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 am   

Basically you got 3 choices:

Rena
Eheim
Fluval

Eheim is the best but most expensive, and between rena and fluval, they both have there good and bad points but people seem to like the fluval over the rena.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:04 pm   

I just upgraded a few days ago to about 50 gallons of water (in a 75 gallon tank) and I went with the Fluval 405. So far, I have found that it is very difficult to prime if you follow the directions which say you can completely prime it with the “easy prime pump” – I should have followed my instincts and filled the canister with water before using the pump. After reading up on it – a lot of people have said it is hard to prime… BUT, just like most people say, once you do get it primed (which can be hard) the output is impressive. Once I got it going, it is like a river in my tank. I haven’t had the system up long enough to really report on performance as far as keeping the water clear, but so far so good. I have high hopes for next time with the lessons I learned (fill the canister) and because the hoses will be already full next time, it should be a little easier to prime. So, the reports I’ve read that say it’s hard to prime but worth the effort seem spot on to me.
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm   

yeah i use a 405 and i like it. try and but it on ebay, i got my 405 for 80 bucks brand new off ebay. i might still have the seller saved if your interested, i tihnk she also sells renas
FOR THE HORDE!
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 am   

Fluvals are a hit and miss with priming. After many cleanings and un hooking my fluval 405 had more good starts then bad.

Since i upgraded to FX5 im 2 for 2 good starts ^_^
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:54 pm   

from what i have read eheim is the way to go. Also if you are getting an eheim stick the the classic canister not ecco. The handle breaks really easily on the ecco.

O order my Eheim classic canister filter 2217 and am waiting for it to be delivered. Once it is i will give you and update on how it works.
Skids
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jan 8, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:54 pm   

I turned on my Eheim a few days ago (Pro 3e) and beyond love it. I use the stream function during the day. It is so Far Out!!

Priming was easy, as soon as I had the tank filled full enough to help lift the column of free-water up and over the outflow pipe arch in order to start the syphon. The ease of priming depends on the weight of the column of free-water inside the tube and whether or not the prime action is strong enough to lift that much water. So, with a relatively full tank, the standing column of free-water inside the tube is relatively shorter, thus lighter, thus it's easier to prime. Eventually, I had the amount of water in the tank necessary to help the primer work easily. I wonder if I could have stated that more simply?....

And, the Eheim is so quiet!
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Dec 9, 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 pm   

thanks guys! I think I am going to go with the fluval 405. An aquarium store out here is going out of business so I should be able to get one for a good deal. It'll be my first canister filter so I'll probably have more questions later!
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests