Habitat - Indoor :: Basking problem?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm   Basking problem?

Hello! So I have made my own out-of-tank basking area for my turtle, but he isn't using it. It's been a week, and I told myself that when he's ready he'll use it, but now I'm getting a little worried. I have seen him halfway up the ramp only once, and once he got to that point he quickly dived back down and hasn't gotten up there since! The only thing he uses it for now is to hang off the end of the ramp. I even tried luring him up there with a lettuce trail, but he wasn't fooled. How long can he not bask before it becomes a problem? I really don't want to have to remove it, my dad made it for us and is very proud of it. Would putting a whole bunch of plants up there make him feel more comfortable with it? What else could I do?
User avatar
Emily!
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 7, 2010
Location: Kansas

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:39 pm   

You could post a pic so we can see if there is anything wrong with it.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm   

Theres nothing wrong with it, it's made out of wood and sits at the top like what I've seen other users have. It just seems like my turtle is nervous about it. Also, I am unable to post pictures.
User avatar
Emily!
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 7, 2010
Location: Kansas

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:55 pm   

Watch your turtle from afar. Some turtles doesn't like to bask when there are
humans around, even from a few feet away. Providing enclosure around the
basking area for more privacy may help too.

The effect of not basking is not immediate. I guess it's still alright for a turtle to
not bask for a month.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests