Habitat - Indoor :: Need to setup a whole habitat

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am   Need to setup a whole habitat

I recently got a baby red eared slider, it's about 1.5 inches, from somebody who couldn't take care of it. So I might as well try and give it a better home.
I'm about to take a storage box and fill it with water. I'll add rocks later.
It's only a single turtle so I don't think it'll need a filter until a day or two.
I'm going to get a filter, basking spot, temperature controller (heater), UVA UVB & heater lighting(s) and some crickets, cuttlebone & artificial turtle food. But I have some questions before I get all this stuff.
I'm about to get a Jager Submersible Heater - 75 watts. I read that it's suppose to heat about 15-30 gallons. The storage box I'm about to use can't be more then 10 gallons. Will it 'cook' the turtle if I put it in?
I'm also about to get a Tetra Reptofilter. It says that it can filter out 30 gallon tanks. Is this enough or should I get more?
And this is what gets me. The lightings. I'm going to get a Zilla Reptile UVB/UVA heater. It has a 15 watt bulb included with 3% UVB and 7% UVA specs? Is this enough or should I get a more power one?
I'm building this on a budget of 200 so I can't get the latest and greatest but I can try to give enough (not spoil) the turtle.
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am   

first of all, if ur turtle is 1.5 inches it has alrdy outgrown a 10 gallon tank. it should have a minimum of 15 gallons. but u should buy something bigger than that to save money in the long run. if u need something cheap check out stock tanks. i know u can get some at tractor supply company. i would not watse money on buying those little things for that 10 gallon when ur turtle has alrdy outgrown it. and filter should be 3 times the size of the tank. u could get away with double since ur turtle is still a hatchling. but that is my recommendation:
get a stock tank(i've seen 40 gallon ones for 30$)
get a filter at least double that (80 gallon than)
and than get ur uvb/uva bulb and all that good stuff.
and i wouldnt call it spoiling, id call it being overly nice to ur faithful turtle friend :)
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 am   

rsour24 wrote:first of all, if ur turtle is 1.5 inches it has alrdy outgrown a 10 gallon tank. it should have a minimum of 15 gallons. but u should buy something bigger than that to save money in the long run. if u need something cheap check out stock tanks. i know u can get some at tractor supply company. i would not watse money on buying those little things for that 10 gallon when ur turtle has alrdy outgrown it. and filter should be 3 times the size of the tank. u could get away with double since ur turtle is still a hatchling. but that is my recommendation:
get a stock tank(i've seen 40 gallon ones for 30$)
get a filter at least double that (80 gallon than)
and than get ur uvb/uva bulb and all that good stuff.
and i wouldnt call it spoiling, id call it being overly nice to ur faithful turtle friend :)

I already have a storage box laying around so since I already spent money on a storage box 5 or 6 months ago and I'm not using it, might as well use it now. But do you think the UVB/UVA lights are good? I'm not sure.
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 am   

u need a uvb/uva bulb for ur turtle. with out it the shell wont develop. u also need a basking bulb for heat but u can just use a normal house hold bulb for that. and u said ur storage box is only 10 gallons. thats not enough room for ur turtle. it will it wont take long b4 ur turtle reaches 2" and by that point shoul dbe in a 20 gallon. just spend the 30$ or how much it is and get a 40 gallon ro so stock tank. other wise ur asting ur money bc than when u have to upgrade again ull have to buy all new filters and equipment. buy bigger saves u money in the long run
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am   

rsour24 wrote:u need a uvb/uva bulb for ur turtle. with out it the shell wont develop. u also need a basking bulb for heat but u can just use a normal house hold bulb for that. and u said ur storage box is only 10 gallons. thats not enough room for ur turtle. it will it wont take long b4 ur turtle reaches 2" and by that point shoul dbe in a 20 gallon. just spend the 30$ or how much it is and get a 40 gallon ro so stock tank. other wise ur asting ur money bc than when u have to upgrade again ull have to buy all new filters and equipment. buy bigger saves u money in the long run

I said above that I have a 10 gallon one laying around my house. If I were to buy a new one then I would get a 70 gallon one and be done with it.
But will this work for now? I could get a better filter and heater but I'm not sure about the UVA/UVB lighters being strong enough.
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am   

depending on how strong they r u just move them closer to the basking spot. and a 10 gallon isnt gonna last u long at all. like i said ur turtle has alrdy outgrown it. how long would "for now" be? ur turtle rly needs something bigger than that 10 gallon
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:44 am   

"For now" is until I can save up enough money to get something larger.
But I was just wondering if everything was good to go because I just don't want to be wasting money. I could get a stronger filter and heating.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm   

once u upgrade form what u have now ur gonna need to buy a new tank, filter, heater, etc.. so ull just be spending more money in the long run. i just hope ur not gonna be too stubborn and just do whats right
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 pm   

The storage box holds more than 10 gallons right? I would keep it in there until you can afford a bigger tank. Don't get discouraged by having to buy so much, a lot of it can be bought used. Check craiglist and Ebay and you can find huge tanks for 1/10th of the price of petsmart or other stores. Many independent fish stores have lots of used deals, many full kits including filters. And never forget to just ask your friends and family, you wouldn't believe how many people got into the fish hobby for 2 weeks and then put there 75 gal aquarium down in the basement and would happily give it to you to get it out of there way.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:04 pm   

for uva just use a standard lightbulb. for uvb i recommend using the repti-glo 5.0 26 watt CFL. i get my uvb bulbs for 18 bucks at petsmart. you can buy the clamp lamps at petsmart as well, there about 15 bucks for each one, or you can standard lamps from a hardware store for cheaper.
FOR THE HORDE!
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 158 guests