Habitat - Indoor :: Turtle Needs a New Tank, Help?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:52 pm   Turtle Needs a New Tank, Help?

I recently found out that the tank I've kept my turtle in is a lot smaller than what he needs. He is ABOUT 8" long, and I really need to get him a new tank. I don't have a lot of space and I am also working on a tight budget, nothing over $200 is perfect.
Every time I buy something for the turtle recommended by pet store workers it doesn't last to long (filters, gravel, heater, basking, etc.) so I'm pretty clueless as to what brands work the best, You're opinions would really be appreciated.

Sooo, any recommendations as to basic and DURABLE accommodations for my turtle? Pictures would be nice as well. =]

(Please respond if you have large turtles specifically)
((Sorry if this has been asked a bajillion times, most of the posts I see in this section are concerning smaller turtles))
Mookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 11, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 pm   

Alright, well you'll be looking for at least an 80 gallon tank, the bigger the better, although a 75 wouldn't be too bad.

Depending on what area you're in, you can often find good deals on used tanks on craigslist, kijiji, or your local classifieds.

For an even more cost effective option, you could do a stock tank. These are big rubber (or sometimes metal) containers that are used for holding water for livestock. You can find them at farm supply stores. They're usually inexpensive, starting at about $75-$100 for a 100 gallon.

The filtration tends to be your most expensive piece of turtle equipment, and it just doesn't pay to go cheap on filtration.

Filter, for that size tank, I recommend the Fluval FX5. I've got one each in my 75 and 90g tanks. You might be able to find one used for a reasonable price, or on eBay new for $200+.

There's also the Rena XP4, which I've heard good things about, though I've never had one myself.

You could also try a sump or DIY canister filter (there's a sticky at the top of this forum), and depending on what materials you need to buy, your most expensive bit of one of those would be the pump.

The Stealth heaters are popular here because they're shatter proof. I use a Hagen Elite heater in one tank, and I'm quite happy with it.

You can make an inexpensive and durable basking area with egg crate. You can find egg crate at most hardware stores for $10-12 for a 2'x4' sheet.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests