Habitat - Indoor :: Aquaclear 110 wont suck

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm   Aquaclear 110 wont suck

It was working before last time I emptied the tank. After I put all the water back in it would only suck halfway up the intake tube. So I washed off the motor and now it doesnt suck at all, it just makes a loud grinding sound. How should I fix this? (I just got it last week!)
byron
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Nov 12, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 am   

You are supposed to prime the filter by filling it with water before you turn it on.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 pm   

I have had the same problem with the aqua clear. Like jozzep said fill it with water. Also get a pen or some thin object and give the propeller a tap while it is turned on. That should get the propeller and the filter working again.
Last edited by freshprince2146 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 pm   

Also make sure that there isn't any exposed place where air could be getting in the tube. I have an extension on my Aquaclear 500 tubing that isn't air tight. If the water drops below a certain level, the filter will behave just as you're describing.

After water changes, even with the filter primed (filled with water) I sometimes have to fiddle with the flow adjuster level to coax it to take up the water.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am   

Yea, it sounda like air getting sucked in from a connecting place. This is why i use aquarium sealer and seal all connecting area. It makes power filter work in really low amounts of water.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests