Habitat - Indoor :: Setting up a new tank... My first problem.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 pm   Setting up a new tank... My first problem.

Hi. I'm trying to upgrade my two turts - I got a good craig's list deal on a 75 gallon tank, and I went out and bought a brand new Fluval 405. I decided to set this up in a basement room, it seems like the best place. The floor is cement with a thin pad and carpet.

So I set up the tank, and notice, it's not level. I'm pretty sure the "problem" is the floor - it slopes off slightly to one side.

Right now - if I measure from the water line to the rim, on the left side it's 9.0" and on the right it's 8.5" - So the left side is lower by about 1/2"

Is this a big problem, or am I okay to finish filling and use it in this spot?
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 pm   

It's always safer to make sure everything's level. I noticed when setting up the tank after moving to a new place that mine was un-even. I just found something to prop up the low end a bit and it worked fine. It has been that way for over a year with no problems.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:51 pm   

Use wooden shims or pieces of cardboard to level it.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm   

i recommend wooden shims, like jozzep said. the shear weight of the wood and water will just crush cardboard to the thickness of regular paper anyway. i've tried that with no success.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm   

I used an old Dr. Phil paperback book.. hehe
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests