Habitat - Indoor :: Water/Smell Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm   Water/Smell Question

So... I have Tomi in a 30gal tank (looking for an awesome deal on craigslist for a bigger tank) with a aquaclear filter. All was good, the tank stays surprisingly clean for a hang on filter.

Now lately my husband says that he kind of smells the water when he walks in the house. It's not a terrible smell, when you're in the house you don't notice it, only when you first walk in or put your head waay in the tank. It just smells like water that's been sitting around I guess. (btw the tank is barebottom).

I recently threw out the carbon media from the filter so I only have the sponge and the biological media in there now. Do you guys think I should get a carbon media or another biological media? Do you think it will make a difference with the smell?

I don't want people to smell the tank when they walk in the house, you know? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:10 am   

I was getting a bit of a smell from one of my tanks a month or so ago, so I replaced the carbon and did a big water change. That was the first time in 3+ years I've had a smell.

How often do you do partial or full water changes? Frequent partial water changes can also help keep smell down.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 am   

I just did a partial water change on Sunday - I changed about 30% of the water in there. I do water changes about once a week. I haven't really done a full water change, more like 50% water change or so. I've had the tank set up for about 3 months.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:22 pm   

Carbon will help with odor in smaller tanks like yours. Did you keep the same carbon in the tank for the 3 months? If so, it was time to change it after about a month. What model Aquaclear are you using on that 30-gallon?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:07 am   

I was also having problems with the smell in my tank, I had it for about 4months now. With only partial water changes every week. I will replace my carbon tomorrow.
youngmiki13
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Nov 11, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:10 am   

I have actually only noticed a smell a few days after water changes in my setup. I think perhaps it has to do with the ecosystem adjusting to the shock of having clean water added or the chemicals found in tap water. Nothing scientific about this, just a gut feeling!
uesres
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Nov 8, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:33 pm   

Yes I had the carbon in there the whole time, I only started noticing the smell once I took it out. I bought some carbon today, i'll put them in when I get home and hope it helps.

I have the aquaclear 50, it's rated at 200gph at max output.

I'll let you guys know if the carbon helps :)

Thank you.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm   

I would guess the smell is chlorine if it occurs after a recent water change.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:21 pm   

If your tank starts smelling like a creek, yes carbon will help that. When I actually get to about a month since the last filter cleaning, I'll notice that the water starts to get that smell. You can notice it when coming home from work. As long as I don't go longer than 4 weeks or so before replacing the carbon, I don't get the smell.

I have some alge that grows on the edge of the corkbard that stays submerged, and that'll have a smell too, but only when you get right up on the tank and sniff.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests