Habitat - Indoor :: Is the tank safe to use?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:34 pm   Is the tank safe to use?

I just got a super deal on a big 'ol tank. It's in pretty good condition and came from somebody who seemed to know their stuff... The only problem is at the bottom, the plastic trim that goes around the bottom edge, it's broken. It was hanging when I bought the tank – it broke off unloading at home. Will that matter? I was told that it won't hurt anything and that the tank will be fine and won't leak... Is it structurally compromised? I can post pics later if necessary. What do you think?
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:04 pm   

You can order replacement fish tank frames online.
I wouldn't trust it. When a tank is full, the water pressure is mostly on the bottom sides of the tank.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:49 pm   

Thanks. So, when you say "replacement fish tank frames" are available - I'm picturing completely dis-assembling the tank, and then - rebuilding it from scratch? I don't think I can do all that...

What about repairing it? I did a quick google search and I found somebody who asked about this at a different site - they advised to glue or JB Weld it and not to worry.

I'm with you - I'd like to do a bit more than that! Anybody have any experience with repairing this type of thing?

The way I see it - anything that I could wrap around it and secure - like a belt all the way around the base would provide the same strength the plastic did, if not more, as this plastic couldn't have been too strong to begin with.

I'll add pics later and try to clear up what it is that I'm hoping I can do.
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 pm   

You would have to get a razor blade and cut the the silicone that holds the bottom frame in place, take it out, and silicone the new one back in. If you don't mind the way it looks, you can use pretty much anything (a big enough belt would do it) to hold it together.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:59 pm   

jozzep wrote: If you don't mind the way it looks, you can use pretty much anything (a big enough belt would do it) to hold it together.


Thanks jozzep - That's what I was hoping to hear because I am trying to do this "on the cheap". I am very happy to learn that a proper repair can be done, and that in the meantime, I can secure it (even if ugly) some how. I'll find a way, and make sure that it is strong enough before filling it with water.

It sounds like the previous owner used it as is without any trouble - I'm just not that brave.
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:01 pm   

First thing that comes to mind is duct tape! Come on...what CAN'T it fix??
Sraustin
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Aug 27, 2009
Location: NW Arkansas

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:09 pm   

^lol thats true
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:34 pm   

Sraustin wrote:First thing that comes to mind is duct tape! Come on...what CAN'T it fix??

freshprince2146 wrote:^lol thats true


You know what;s really funny? That's exactly what I was thinking, but I was afraid to say it.

I plan to glue in the broken pieces of plastic, then wrap several times tightly, all the way around, with duct tape - and then, just for good looks, hide the duct tape under a decorative layer of the MUCH better looking electrical tape ..ohhh la la!
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm   

TurtleKeeper48 wrote:
I plan to glue in the broken pieces of plastic, then wrap several times tightly, all the way around, with duct tape - and then, just for good looks, hide the duct tape under a decorative layer of the MUCH better looking electrical tape ..ohhh la la!


That sounds like it would probably work. You could also build a wood frame for around the bottom, you'd just want to make sure you get your measurements just right ;)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 pm   

a pic would be great to see the tank, sounds like a deal, just my two cents from a freshwater fishtank view, if it is a freshwater fishtank, and the trim is plastic, then its just cosmetic, believe it or not but all that holds glass tanks together today is silicone. The days of the steel framed tanks holding things together is over, the plastic is just there to hide the sharp glass edges. But to be super sure it would be good to see the tank to ensure everythings on the up and up. I have cut and resealed a few tanks includeing my 125 full of fish now and its a lot of work. If you cant do pics, demensions of the tank and glass thickness would help figure its safety factor. Good luck!
Pretty much as newb as they come.
zum14
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 1, 2009

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 am   

If its just the black trim that hides the binding for the glass then your fine.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 174 guests