Habitat - Indoor :: Need suggestion for a heater!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 pm   Need suggestion for a heater!

Ok, hi , how are you all doing? Currently its getting closer and closer to winter time in NYC and these past 2 days my water has been dipping down to the low 70's degrees. I need a suggestion for a heater, maybe some heaters you had personal experience or some heaters that you might think are good. I'm not thinking about spending more then 30$ on a heater.

I also have a 20L tank, 2 RES about 2inches, and a fluval 205 if that helps.

So far I've been looking at this one

[admin edit -- linked removed. please post direct links, NOT REFERRAL LINKS.]

Please suggest which one to get for my tank too because i see that some heaters have different wattage.
vouslavous
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Apr 16, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm   

Where are the heaters in that link?

Get a heater thats fully submersible that allows you set the temp.

The different wattages are for different size tanks. Allow 3 -5 watts per gallon of water. You tank is about 10 gallons? If you allowed 5 watts per gallon and the tank was fairly full, you'd need at least a 50-watt heater. If you're planning to upgrade the tank, you might buy a slightly higher wattage one it can be used with a larger tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 pm   

Marineland Stealth Visi-Therm Submersible Aquarium Heaters? is this a good one?
vouslavous
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Apr 16, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm   

^^^yes.

any fish tank heater will work if you accommodate 3-5 watts per gallon. It's preferred that it be durable (turtle-proof), preferably with a plastic casing.

My heater is a 300w for 110 gallons of water with a 150w backup. The 300w is mostly glass so I keep it below in the sump.
Last edited by papoopeepoo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm   

i'm in the NYC area... and last night it dipped to the upper 40s.

i have the tetrafauna aquatic reptile heater - 100 watts good for a 30 gallon tank.

has a plastic cage to protect the glass heater and from "shell shock"

the only con is that it is preset at 78F.

i have a couple of them.

you can get them for about $20 bucks.
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 am   

I used Ebo Jager heaters back in the day and they were extremely accurate and durable. But I now use Marineland Stealth heaters. They aren't as accurate but they are encased in plastic which is great for turts.
res08
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mar 30, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 pm   

I was wondering about this myself. I keep reading that these heaters can short out and cause fires...is that an exaggeration of their risk? I am kind of nervous of the idea of leaving my apartment with one of those things running and my two doggies at home inside. Am I just being paranoid?
beaner
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sep 28, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm   

I use the Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm Stealth Heater-250 Watt in my 75 gallon tank and it does good for me. I have it set to 80F. It cost $45.
peavs
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 24, 2009
Location: Hamilton, On

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:40 pm   

beaner wrote:I was wondering about this myself. I keep reading that these heaters can short out and cause fires...is that an exaggeration of their risk? I am kind of nervous of the idea of leaving my apartment with one of those things running and my two doggies at home inside. Am I just being paranoid?


they should be safe - or you would be hearing about fires all the time... think about all the fish tanks are around the city/town or wherever you live - me being paranoid myself...i think about that all the time - plus the lightbulbs near the water and such...

what can you do? the turtle needs the heat...

you can say the same thing for any appliance though.
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 121 guests