Habitat - Indoor :: Methods to Cleaning glass tanks - advice PLEASE!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 pm   Methods to Cleaning glass tanks - advice PLEASE!!

I hope this is the right "section" for this


I have read numerous times that a vinegar solution is best for cleaning the pesky white residue inside a tank. I was just curious if there were any other options that people have been successful with because I cant seem to get the vinegar solution to work...maybe I am doing something wrong.

I recently rescued a [now] 4 week old hatchling. I went to my parents house today to get the small tank for the little guy and the white residue was once again back, I must not have cleaned it well enough before storing it.
Oscar, my new guy, is currently in a itty bitty 1 gal kriter tank as a temp until I could get this guy.


Will I be fine just giving the 10gal a good hot rinse and scrub down with a new sponge or should I wait for the vinegar?
Henry - 2 years (August 2007)
Oscar - 3 weeks (July 2009)
wilso720
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Dec 1, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm   

To get rid of mineral build up, you can use razor blade or paint scraper to scrap
it off. It's only for glass tank, though. You'll ruin acrylic tank.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm   

i use salt to scrub with to act as an abrasive
SpenceMasta
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Aug 6, 2008
Location: nyc

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 pm   

An algae brush,hot water ,and decent amount of elbow grease should do it.But crusty spots can be eliminated with a flat razor blade.Just keep it wet.
I never used vinegar but i heard many do.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 pm   

I use the vinegar solution but I wipe it with newspaper instead of a rag and that works well for mineral deposits on my tank.
Twilite25
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 7, 2009
Location: NM

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm   

what i did since my whoel tank was white
and u couldnt see throughwhen i got it(got it for free shoudl have taken pics)
i scrapped it with a paint scrapper till i got all i ould off
rinsed it
used a clear and cleaned it
rinsed it
used pure clr
rinsed it like 3-4 times and let it dry
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:06 pm   

I don't know what it is about newspaper, but that stuff does work good. I use it for my windows on my truck. Never even thought to use it on the tank....
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:28 pm   

Yeah I don't know either, but my Mom use to use it to clean windows too, that's why I tried it.
Twilite25
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 7, 2009
Location: NM

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:57 pm   

It's not easy, but if you want all those water spots off, use a razor blade.
User avatar
holidae
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Location: Norco, CA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 124 guests