Habitat - Indoor :: Safe paints and sealants

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:05 pm   Safe paints and sealants

I'm currently constructing an overhead basking area, (out of wood). Are there any recommendations for paints or water sealants? I want to make sure everything I use is safe.

I suppose I could use any paint as long as it were sealed, but I though I'd better ask those that are more experienced.
User avatar
holidae
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Location: Norco, CA

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:31 pm   

I wouldn't use wood in parts that will be in the water.Make sure that whatever wood you do decide to use isn't treated in any way, and silicone must be "100% aquarium safe silicone".It should say so on the label.
As per paint, got no answer for ya since i never used any for mine.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:38 pm   

It won't be in the water, just above it, but he will be getting on it when he's wet
User avatar
holidae
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Location: Norco, CA

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:52 am   

My basking area is made out of wood also. I simply covered the bottom with plastic and put some fake turf/grass on top of that. I find that I didn't even need the plastic - the wood never gets wet.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests