Habitat - Indoor :: normal water values for turtles?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 pm   normal water values for turtles?

I've been googling my fingers off but I cannot find anything on what's supposed to be healthy or normal water values for turtles.

With water values I mean things like PH, KH, GH, NH4/NH3, etc. (in case I use the wrong term/word). Is this possibly dependend on any fish they are kept with (if kept with fish)?

Thanks for reading, and I hope to get an awnser.
Polly
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sep 16, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm   

RES are pretty tolerant to most water conditions. Don't worry about ph/kh/gh/fe etc. Some people recommend a slightly acidic tank, since it can help keep some kinds of fungus under control, but if you keep a clean tank, you don't really need to worry about it.

Ammonia, like with fish, you want to keep on the lower side while the tank is cycling. Same with nitrite. It's ok if nitrate creeps up a little bit once and a while, but make sure you keep it under control. My nitrate tests go up to I think 110 ppm. Usually when it hits 110, I do a water change, or sooner of course.

If you keep fish with them, I probably still wouldn't worry about it too much, since fish you keep with your turtles are likely going to become food long before they'd have any ill effects from improper water chemistry ;)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 pm   

I've read anything over 30 ppm is considered toxic to most aquatic life o.o

Turtles being turtles though, air breathers, probably don't have to worry about it quite as much.
User avatar
gwennie
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: Aotearoa

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:33 am   

that 'over 30' value is either for nitrites, or marine nitrates, or maybe some sensitive freshwater invertebrates. Frankly my dear, RES don't give a damn. That said, the nitrates in my tank are 10ppm.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:56 am   

Thanks for the information. Yeah I doubted my turtles would give a damn, but in one of my tanks I do have fish that are kept alive since my boys don't really care for them as afternoon snacks. Since those are alive for over 6months now, I doubt the fish care too much either as long as the air-blower does it work that is.
Polly
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sep 16, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 pm   

I've read (and been told) that you want to keep ammonia and nitrites as close to zero as possible and nitrates shouldn't go higher than 40 ppm. Lower, of course, is better.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 pm   

Agree with marisa. These are good levels for fish, and just because RES can tolerate much worse, in my opinion that is no excuse for neglecting water quality.

Having said that, amonnia and nitrites will always be zero in a cycled tank with right size filter. If they are not zero, then you have a problem you need to fix.

Nitrates are less important (therefore 40ppm can be exceeded), BUT if they go up, then usually algae will be a bigger problem than nitrate level.
seanwb
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sep 1, 2008
Location: London, England


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests