Habitat - Indoor :: Is there something I can do to spice up my old tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 pm   

I had some kind of driftwood in my hand when I was browsing the Petstore yesterday that was advertised as being twice as dense as driftwood and as such not susceptible to rotting or changing water chems. Can't vouch for the validity of that however since on principle I personally refuse to pay $20+ for a piece of a stick... :shock:
elwray
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Feb 13, 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 pm   

Sounds like mopani. I have several pieces of it; it's much heavier/denser than driftwood and is actually two colors (light outside, dark inside). Zoo-Med is usually the company that I've seen selling it.

I haven't had it long enough to know if it will soften as quickly as the driftwood I have, but I suspect it will last much longer. It sinks fairly quickly and like corkbark and driftwood, it does release tannin, so I don't know how it wouldn't change the water chemistry, at least until tannin stops being released. Tannin is what makes the water brown/tea colored, but is not a bad thing and will actually make the water a little more acidic. I've never noticed any smell. You can minimize the amount of tannin that's leached into the tank by presoaking the corkbark/driftwood/mopani and changing the water until the color doesn't change much. I've done this, and I've also just rinsed the piece and put it in the tank and done partial water changes until the water stopped turning really brown. Some pieces release more tannin than others.

It made great basking areas for the snappers I was caring for, and looked really nice when algae started growing on it. Now that they're gone, I'm going to disinfect the pieces in diluted bleach, rinse and let them dry for a good while so they'll be ready for someone else. :D

I've never paid $20 for any of the pieces, but if I saw a "perfect" piece, I'd be tempted. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm   

Mopani! That's what it's called... yes, two tone.

Maybe I misread it and it didnt make claims about preserving water chems... but definitely claimed to be denser.

It would look AWESOME in my 5 gallon aquascape, but I really need to find it cheaper...
elwray
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Feb 13, 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 pm   

I want some bogwood. That stuff looks sooo amazing in a aquarium:D
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests