Habitat - Indoor :: Some lighting questions..

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:54 pm   Some lighting questions..

Greetings all, I've got a 20g tank which came with a 18" bulb that I replaced since it didn't put out UVA or UVB. I installed a "15W Repti-Glo 5.0 UVB" bulb which currently resides in the topper. The box rates the bulb as 30% UVA, and 5% UVB.

So here is my concern...

The bulb is not directly exposed to the inside of the tank, there is a glass barrier. I'm wondering, does this barrier let the UVA/UVB rays to get to the turtles? It's only several inches above the dry-dock and water line, so I don't want it to heat up the water as a result of direct exposure, or fry my turts for that matter!

-spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:48 pm   

With the glass barrier, virtually no UVB is reaching your turtles. UVBs emit very little heat, so there's no worries of heating up the water with that. However, you do need a heat source to entice your turtles to bask. A regular household bulb will work fine.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm   

If there is a barrier between then no uv rays are getting through. If you has a topped on do you have a heat lamp on them as well!
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:07 pm   

All right, I had a feeling this was the case. So I'll remove the glass so the bulb is exposed to the inside of the tank, or create something custom made to top the aquarium with.

A clamp-on heat lamp should do the trick to create heat.. the water temp is a steady 83 degrees F, I've read here that the basking temp should be about 10 degrees above that, correct?

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 pm   

yup 10 degrees above water temp, the water temp might be a bit warm though, I could be wrong on that though, I'm sure someone here will chime in on that.
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm   

Right, elsewhere on the forum I read that the water temp should be closer to 75ish, I'll turn the heater down a little bit after I'm done typing this. Also, I just went outside and bashed out the glass barrier (I cleaned it all up so there is zero glass or glue residue) and now the UVA/UVB bulb is directly exposed to the turtles.

The RES seem to want to bask even though they don't have a heat lamp, but I'll get one anyway, with an air thermometer. They'll hang out on the dry-dock, sometimes piling, and fan out their feet while the light is on. It's probably an instinct to do that, but I'll make it warmer for them anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far!

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:29 pm   

83 is quite warm for a water temp. By comparison, my basking temp is only about 86. I find in the summer I don't even need my heater, so I take it right out. You can cool the water a bit with a frozen pop bottle.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 141 guests