Habitat - Indoor :: New Basking Dock!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 pm   New Basking Dock!!

Hey question for everyone. Has anyone ever heard of the "Turtle Topper"? If you haven't here it is.....

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=15256

There is also a video on youtube that shows the product in full view...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICy7PWiCQg

I was wondering what everyone thinks of it? Is this really something that could be used successfully? I think it's a great alternative for not so creative people like myself. I don't think the price is bad either. I got it on e-bay for $50 with free shipping....Anways, let me know all your thoughts. Thanks!!
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm   

It's a great idea. It gives the turtle a lot more swimming space.

I made one just like that using a plastic fruit boxes that I attached on top of the tank and made a ramp to it. It cost me $0 compared to the $42 that you have to pay for that one. It was really easy to make; I'm not creative at all and it turned out okay. Although mine doesn't look anywhere as pretty as that one. I can take pictures and explain how I did it if anyone is interested.
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm   

Yes we have......
There are already about 10 posts about it.
85% of the people here would say it's not worth the money unless you're too lazy or don't have time to build your own.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:08 am   

jozzep wrote:Yes we have......
There are already about 10 posts about it.
85% of the people here would say it's not worth the money unless you're too lazy or don't have time to build your own.


You hit the nail on the head with that one.

For cosmetic reasons alone, I won't get it, cause, I think it's ugly and scary looking.

Dude, I am like so over hearing about the turtle topper. It's not worth the excitement in my opinion.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 am   

I ordered one, it should be arriving soon.

To be honest, it looks a lot better than some of the home made ones I've seen here. I'm not creative or handy, nor do I really have a lot of free time, so spending 50 bucks on what looks great and meets my needs is fine by me. I paid over 30 for the large dock that is not nearly as useful as this, so it's not outrageous. I mean, come on, for all the people saying it looks ugly, you don't really think a crate looks better than this thing.

You can build your own filter too, but I don't really see anyone knocking on people buying XPs and Fluvals, either.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 am   

adam85491 wrote:I ordered one, it should be arriving soon.

To be honest, it looks a lot better than some of the home made ones I've seen here. I'm not creative or handy, nor do I really have a lot of free time, so spending 50 bucks on what looks great and meets my needs is fine by me. I paid over 30 for the large dock that is not nearly as useful as this, so it's not outrageous. I mean, come on, for all the people saying it looks ugly, you don't really think a crate looks better than this thing.

You can build your own filter too, but I don't really see anyone knocking on people buying XPs and Fluvals, either.


Haha I totally agree. There are definitely some ghetto looking set-ups on this site. I think if you were going to make a really good looking ATBA you would spend well over $50.00. Not to mention I'm not arts and crafty enough to make one that looks halfway decent. I think it's going to be a good set up. It offers security and privacy to the turtle....who knows, hopefully it works out!
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:30 pm   

I have the topper and we like it. And it really isn't ugly.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:16 pm   

to each their own... if you feel like buying one or if you make your own - as long as it benefits our turts!
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 pm   

My Turtle Topper arrived today. It only took a few minutes to assemble and looks fine to me. I'll probably post a review in the Equipment forum later today and post some pictures.

Since I only have a 40G breeder, this will provide the most space possible for me until I get a new tank next summer.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm   

I like the idea of that-I think it's a little pricey though. I'm in the middle of building my turtle a dock out of wood, but if that doesn't work out I'll look into this. I'm the same as you guys-while plastic buckets are extrememly cheap and effective, I don't like how they look. Especially since turtles last for as long as they do. If things go right-this guy could be alive almost as long as me. I might as well get a setup that we both can enjoy.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 pm   

I'm not handy at all. Creative yes, but not handy. Just super cheap.

All I'm doing with the ATBA I'm building is getting four pieces of wood, two 13x12, two 12x12, and screwing them together. Plus two other smaller pieces to close off certain edges so they can't grab the rim of the tank when they want to get off the ATBA. For a ramp I'm going to screw some curved corkbark under the bottom for them to climb up. There is nothing handy or creative about this at all in my opinion.

To protect the wood I am going to paint it. I'm into the artsy fartsy stuff, so, painting it will be the actual creative aspect of this. And it'll be their favorite color so they'll actually want to use it.

If I come back from my vacation and discover my mom has bought a turtle topper I am gonna be so P.O.ed.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:46 am   

Why would you be mad that you were given a fully functional and stylish ATBA?
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 149 guests