Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval 405 question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 am   Fluval 405 question

Would it be okay to put a Fluval 405 in a 20 gallon tank until I buy a bigger tank for my little guy? Or would the intake and out-take be too much for that small of a tank? Right now I'm running a Zoo Med 501 and it's doing just fine with the 17-18 gallons of water I have in there right now. I'm just wondering b/c I have the option to get one pretty cheap so if it's possible to use it i will...thanks!
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 am   

I think as long as you can secure a safety grating at the inlet and direct the flow
of the outlet, you're fine. Direct the flow towards a side of the tank somehow so
you don't have too much turbulence.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 pm   

If the current filter works fine, why change it?
If the deal is that good, you can buy it and save it for future use.The 405 is very powerful and unless you put a sponge around the inlet, you have to worry about the turtle getting stuck on it and drown.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:26 pm   

I would say if you see one for a good deal, scoop it, whether you use it right away or not. Like Kemul said, if you can aim the output to the side of the tank, and the water doesn't look like a blender, it should alright. Or you can "save" it until you get a bigger tank. When I got my 404, I didn't use it until I got a bigger tank.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 129 guests