Habitat - Indoor :: 75 gallon for my 8 in RES?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:54 pm   75 gallon for my 8 in RES?

I'm trying to get my RES a 125 or 150 gallon aquarium and I just can't find a used one and I can't afford a new one. I found a 75 gallon tank on craigslist with a stand for a good price. How long would Sam be able to use this? Is there any way I can make it last longer? What sort of filter should I buy? Is there a screen lid that will fit it or do I need to get my hubby to be to make me one?

Thanks!
"Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell" - Bill Copeland
SamsMama
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 7, 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:43 pm   

an 8 inch turtle should have an 89 gallon or more but if thats all you can afford dont stress sam would be fine. you cant use it for to long because if and when he greows bigger you will need to upgrade. what do you mean last longer if you mean the turtle not getting bigger no. if you mean the quality you could reinforce the sides with aquarium sillicone. if you have enough money get a 100 or over gallon canister filter. you could probably find a screen but u dont need one
turtledlucas
 
Posts: 119
Joined: May 18, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:05 pm   

Is Sam male or female? If he's a male, there's a good chance he's pretty close to his max size. If she's a female, she may still have several inches to go.

If you think Sam is at his/her max size, then you could get away with a 75 gallon for the rest of his life. If you think he's got some growing left, the 75 gallon will at least last for several years, especially if you build an above tank basking area.

My personal recommendation for a filter is the Fluval FX5. I use one in my 75 and 90 gallon tanks. It keeps the tank clean.

For a screen, you'll probably have to make one. You can use egg crate (aka light diffuser). It's cheap (usually about $12 per sheet), and easy to cut to fit.
You could also get creative and use an old oven rack for the top of the tank. I've got egg crate on one tank, and a fridge rack on the other ;)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:20 pm   

75 gallon is great for 1 turtle.Male or female.The "rule" says 10 gallons x inch of shell, but i find that (by personal experience) to be "overkill".
Don't get me wrong, the bigger the better, but if you found a good deal on a 75 gallon, take it and run.The turtle will be very happy for as long as he lives.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:02 pm   

75g is great for a male, but really would be slightly too small for a life long female tank. I think a female would need 100g minimum once fully grown. Maybe even bigger if she gets huge. For a lifelong tank that is.

Make sure that the 75g is actually 75 gallons. Ask for dimentions, and use the calculator on the site. http://www.redearslider.com/calculator.html
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 am   

Everyone- Sam is a girl turtle.

So no a 75gallon tank will not do. She will need a bigger tank.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 am   

8 inches... 80 gallons...

Since RES grow much slower as they get older, he or she can get away with a 75 gallon for a year or two. That would give you time to save money for the 125 or 150 gallon. Five less gallons than the recommended norm is not going to be a huge, dramatic difference for your turtle.

And I do agree with jozzep, about the 10 gallon rule being overkill. I have had two 2 inch turtles in a 10 gallon for over a year, and they just now started acting like it's too small. (Which is why I am getting a new one).
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 pm   

A 75 gallon tank will suit an 8 inch female for quite some time. Just keep in mind that it shouldn't be permanent. You could easily get away with using the 75 gallon for a few years, or until you save up the money for the 'final set up'.

I agree with Caphits though, make sure the tank is actually 75 gallons.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:36 pm   

I think that a 75 gallon is big enough for most turtles besides the really huge old females. I mean a 90 gallon tank is exactly the same as a 75 gallon, only 4" taller. I really don't a couple inches of height will make much of a difference. I think the whole 10 gallon rule is not that great IMO, because footprint is what is more important for the turtle. Just my newb opinion though.
Good luck!
happy turtle
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 22, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm   

happy turtle wrote:I think that a 75 gallon is big enough for most turtles besides the really huge old females. I mean a 90 gallon tank is exactly the same as a 75 gallon, only 4" taller. I really don't a couple inches of height will make much of a difference. I think the whole 10 gallon rule is not that great IMO, because footprint is what is more important for the turtle. Just my newb opinion though.
Good luck!


You aren't the only one. I've never obeyed the 10 gallon rule. At the time when we first got them, I wasn't the one who bought my turtles, and none of us had any money for anything, so they've lived in a 10 gallon tank for a while, and just now started very mildly acting like it was too small. Now, I'm aiming for a 50 gallon, simply because one of my turtles is more active than the other, and they'll not be so clingy to each other.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:51 pm   

I follow the per inch = 10g rule. So eventually you will need a bigger tank. You can have her in hte 75g tank for sometime, just like said before make sure its all the way filled so she gets that full 75g of water. YOu would then be forced to build a above tank basking area.

I was in the same boat as you trying to find a deal on tanks with craiglist. I was on everyday for a month or 2 and had no luck. What I did was I made my on wanted ad on craigslist for a tank and I must of got 5 emails right away on people with tanks. So try maybe posting a wanted tank ad in craigslist.
fatality
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Aug 2, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:05 am   

You could also get a preformed pond or stock tank. The money you're willing to spend on this, you could get a much bigger tank if you went with these options. Just a suggestion :wink:
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests