Habitat - Indoor :: how long between basking and feeding?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 pm   how long between basking and feeding?

I got my new res Friday. He is in an aquarium next to my computer. I have sat quietly watching him and he hasn't got on his turtle dock to bask yet. He isn't very skittish,I put my finger on the glass and he'll swim right over and check it out, and even follow as I move my finger around. But I have yet to see him bask. Should I leave the heat lamp on for a few nights, or will that get him used to basking at night and disrupt his schedule? I have the small turtle dock, should I upgrade to the medium or large? Also, I bought zoomed natural aquatic turtle food growth formula for him. The container says one teaspoon per turtle, net out any uneaten food after 1 hour. I've put 20 pellets in and he eats them in less than 15 minutes. Should I feed him more or twice a day, or just keep feeding the 20 pellets once a day? He's about 4 1/2 inches shell length.
Thanks
Myke
Myke
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 pm   

I doubt the small dock floats when he is on it...make sure you have the right temperature (try between 90 and 92 F) and also have a UVB bulb as well.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 pm   

it takes them about a while to get comfortable. ever since my turtles started basking they started interacting with me. it will take some time just wait :)
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 am   

RES can be skittish when they're basking. He may be basking when you're not around. I would just keep your lights on a 12 on/12 off schedule.

On the dock, when he gets on it, does it sink? It's very important that your turtle dry off top and bottom, so if the dock sinks and his belly stays wet when he climbs up onto it, it's time for a bigger dock.

The instructions on turtle food are generally meant to sell turtle food. Feed him the amount of pellets that would fit in his head (not including neck) once every two days. RES will eat until they throw up, and then eat what they threw up, so the amount of food that a RES could eat in an hour is pretty much endless.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 pm   

Read over the main site for more info on feeding. But basically at that size, your turtle should be getting greens everyday and pellets/protein every other day.

As your turtle becomes accustomed to you, he will bask in front of you. Until then, give him some privacy. Or try putting some plants around the basking area for him, it will make him feel more secure.

My turtle is about that size and he uses the large turtle dock. With turtles, you usually want to go as big as you can afford because they'll outgrow the smaller stuff quickly.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 pm   

Don't worry, turtles need time to get used to their surroundings and also to you. My female RES will bask and not even care if I'm watching her. If she's not basking, she's begging for food. But, don't overfeed them, they will eat as much as you can feed them. The general rule is only as much turtle food as their head size. Of course, vegetable and fruits should be added. My female knows the turle food container and knows when I pick it up from the shelf below the tank. My male RES tried to bite me when I first picked him up. But now he will come right up and even eat directly from my fingers. So, be patient and enjoy your RES.
bigG
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Nov 28, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:28 pm   

Thanks for all the help. I'll buy the big dock or design an over the tank basking area this weekend. I finally named her, I think it's a girl. Anyway her name is Keya, it's the Lakhota Souix word for turtle. I'm still working on pictures.
Myke
Myke
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests