Habitat - Indoor :: Would you buy a 2nd hand fx5?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 am   Would you buy a 2nd hand fx5?

I just found a really cheap fx5 filter someone is selling online but she says it's like new. I don't think there would be a problem, but I just wondered what anyone else thought about using a 2nd hand filter on a turtle tank? I'm moving soon and want to get everything together for my 155 gallon tank as soon as possible, and if I don't have to spend $300 for a new filter, that would be great.

I am currently using a rena xp3 on a 55 gallon tank.
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 am   

Nothing wrong with a second hand filter as long as it works.
All my filters are used and never had a problem with them.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm   

My 404 was used, and I had no problem. The only thing is that the tubes will already be cut, so if they aren't long enough you might have to buy new ones.
But other than that, if it's a good deal (and remember you can get them for around $220 brand new on ebay), go for it! :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:37 pm   

Depends on the age of the product, the reputation of the product, and the current condition.

As long as I know it'll last me a while, I'd buy second hand.

Otherwise I prefer to buy new, since new things come with stuff a used thing wouldn't have. Plus, if it's new, and it breaks, well, I can get it replaced.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm   

If you do buy the filter, make sure you either replace or thoroughly disinfect the filter pads and media before you use them.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 am   

I'm not sure if she is selling the media with it or not. How would you disinfect the media? What media would you use for an fx5 and in what order? Is it set up like an xp3 with canisters?
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm   

You can disinfect media with a 5% vinegar/95% water mix.

My FX5 is set-up like this: Top, Fluval pre-filter. Middle, a medium coarse filter pad and a very fine filter pad. Bottom, 2 boxes of Fluval BioMax.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:39 pm   

Hopefully she'll be selling the foam blocks (most likely). A vinegar solution like Pap said would do the trick. I usually do a 50/50 warm water vinegar mix.

My FX5s have: Top: Prefilter + coarse filter. Middle: Carbon + bioballs. Bottom: Biomax.

My suggestion though is to skip the Fluval prefilter (unless it comes with the filter). I find it's really to big to catch anything at all. In the top, you might want a coarse filter pad, and I'm not sure what else.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:23 pm   

BullDog wrote:Hopefully she'll be selling the foam blocks (most likely). A vinegar solution like Pap said would do the trick. I usually do a 50/50 warm water vinegar mix.

My FX5s have: Top: Prefilter + coarse filter. Middle: Carbon + bioballs. Bottom: Biomax.

My suggestion though is to skip the Fluval prefilter (unless it comes with the filter). I find it's really to big to catch anything at all. In the top, you might want a coarse filter pad, and I'm not sure what else.


The pre-filter does a really good job picking up broken plant material that makes it to the filter from my refugium. For the most part my medium coarse filter pad captures the floating material.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm   

Oh yeah, I forgot it's was you who had the refugium! I don't have any live plants in my tanks, and I find the intake strainer catches most of what the prefilter may catch. Before I put the coarse filter pads in, I found that the prefilter was essentially clean, and the carbon was full of gunk. I find the coarse filter pads catch bits of cuttlebone and small pieces of lettuce.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests