Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 pm
One of my turtles knew how to swim, but was easily spooked by deep water.
So, one day, I put her in their little 1 gallon carrier, scooped my hand under her, and just bounced her up and down until she started kicking her legs. Then, I put her back in her normal tank, with water three inches deep and plenty of safe zones for her. After a few hours she got over herself and started diving and submerging.
After that I raised the water level by an inch every day. She seems to like water at only two levels now, super shallow, and super deep.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long