Habitat - Indoor :: saltwater tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 am   saltwater tank

im buying a 55 gall saltwater tank for my turtle but i was wondering if there was any certain way i should clean it out. also should i use the fake plants that were in the aquarium or is that to much saltiness.
p.s: are there any effective ways to cool an aquarium other than a water chiller becasue thatsjust expensive
turtledlucas
 
Posts: 119
Joined: May 18, 2009

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:34 pm   

I don't know if there's anything special you need to do for a saltwater tank, but I clean my tanks with straight vinegar. Then rinse and rinse until you can't smell the vinegar any more.
Or you could use a mild bleach solution (I think 10:1 water to bleach is recommended), and again rinse until you can't smell the bleach any more. With bleach, it's also recommended you let the tank air-dry for at least 24 hours, so any residue bleach evaporates.

The plants I think you could dunk in a small bucket of vinegar, and even leave them in there for a few minutes.

For cooling tanks, there are a few ways.
I put a frozen 2L milk jug in the tank. It seems to cool it about a degree, maybe two. You could also use a frozen pop bottle.
I replace the glass top that covers half of the tank with an old fridge rack. The glass top traps a lot of the heat, but the rack allows for more evaporation.
You can also have a fan blowing across the water (make sure it's not blowing on the basking area) and that will help increase evaporation.
Finally, partial water changes with cool water.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:41 pm   

Hmm... Vinegar, smart move. Wish I had vinegar lying around so I could do that.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 am   

salt water fr turtle? RES i thought were fresh water turtles? :-/
User avatar
munkly
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Apr 15, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:37 pm   

Munkly - the tank he's buying was previously used for salt water fish. He's going to fill it with fresh water for the RES :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm   

I would just use soap, water, and elbow grease.....Repeat if necessary.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:37 pm   

You don't want to use soap in an aquarium. Soap residue is very hard to get all of it off.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:47 pm   

BullDog wrote:You don't want to use soap in an aquarium. Soap residue is very hard to get all of it off.


Yeah... I like spray on bleaches better.

Bleach should only be used if the tank is extremely filthy, and the dirt has become a possible health hazard. A bleached down tank should be rinsed thoroughly until it no longer smells like bleach. When I used bleach a couple of days ago, I spent well over 30 minutes rinsing the tank. (A ton of potting soil got in the tank. It wouldn't come off with just water alone.)
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 82 guests