Habitat - Indoor :: Wondering how much your setups costed...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm   

Let's see here...

Basking lamp, artificial plants, basking log, large turtle hut, UV bulb, infared bulb, all came out to be 66 dollars.

The 10 gallon tank plus kit, two bags of SAFE gravel, river rocks, old cactus tunnel that they recently cracked and outgrew, big aquarium rock, all were on sale and cost me 15 dollars.

To me, under a 100 dollars for a tank set up, especially the one I have right now, is awesome to me.

I have different ways of measuring space for turtles, ways that I think are more appropriate in the long run, and as long as I keep to that, I won't have to spend too much on tank accessories. I'm the type who likes to have many reptiles and amphibians, and a lot of the things my turtles outgrow I am using for future set ups. The aquarium rock will go back in with them when they get bigger, but the tunnel is still intact enough that I'll use it for the green tree frog set up, along with the 10 gallon tank and a screen topper I wanna get to make the tank taller. I saw a tall tank recently for 20 bucks, problem is, I like to reuse stuff rather than keep buying something new. (Unless I have a friend who needs a tank badly, I'm keeping mine.)

I need to remember to post up pictures of their current tank. Yes, I am keeping a couple of two inch turtles in a 10 gallon. They still have plenty of room to run around. Even before I got the new set up, which was a week ago, they still would not swim around much, and hated water higher than 1 and a half inches deep. (They have very different likes and dislikes, so, I have to make certain compromises between them. Typhoon hates deep water, and loves to be on land more, and Hurricane is the opposite.) I have made it higher since then, and they are content. The tunnel takes up more room than I thought it would, so I'm gonna see how I can rearrange things to give them a large swimming area. Regardless, they get tons of opportunities to climb on plants, their tunnel and basking log, and dig under rocks, which is something they both love more than swimming. (I also am very afraid of drowning my turtles, so their tastes feed into that greatly).

I have no life.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:48 pm   

Most of my costs up until now have been minimal for Niko but if I added it al lup probably around $800. Yes I know thats not minimal, I mean it was before I ordered a custom built stand for $700 that I will be using for Nikos permanent tank when I get around ot buying it.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:52 pm   

Lets see... I got my 55 gallon tank for $40 thanks to CL

I went to petsmart and bought a heater, filter,2 clamp lamps, a infared bulb, a uvb bulb, a dock,food, water conditioner, some decor, 2 thermometors,... I think that was about it lol. and that was all about $230.

Then i bought sand, and wood which was another $40.


So about $310.00.

I have a horrible filter and really need a new canister one but dont have the money yet....
Charissa =)
1 RES-Momo
1 Chihuahua-Lily
1 Male Beta-Max
1 New ferret -Riko
lunabebe4
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Jan 12, 2009
Location: Seattle,WA

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 pm   

theartbook35 wrote:Let's see here...

Basking lamp, artificial plants, basking log, large turtle hut, UV bulb, infared bulb, all came out to be 66 dollars.

The 10 gallon tank plus kit, two bags of SAFE gravel, river rocks, old cactus tunnel that they recently cracked and outgrew, big aquarium rock, all were on sale and cost me 15 dollars.

To me, under a 100 dollars for a tank set up, especially the one I have right now, is awesome to me.

I have different ways of measuring space for turtles, ways that I think are more appropriate in the long run, and as long as I keep to that, I won't have to spend too much on tank accessories. I'm the type who likes to have many reptiles and amphibians, and a lot of the things my turtles outgrow I am using for future set ups. The aquarium rock will go back in with them when they get bigger, but the tunnel is still intact enough that I'll use it for the green tree frog set up, along with the 10 gallon tank and a screen topper I wanna get to make the tank taller. I saw a tall tank recently for 20 bucks, problem is, I like to reuse stuff rather than keep buying something new. (Unless I have a friend who needs a tank badly, I'm keeping mine.)

I need to remember to post up pictures of their current tank. Yes, I am keeping a couple of two inch turtles in a 10 gallon. They still have plenty of room to run around. Even before I got the new set up, which was a week ago, they still would not swim around much, and hated water higher than 1 and a half inches deep. (They have very different likes and dislikes, so, I have to make certain compromises between them. Typhoon hates deep water, and loves to be on land more, and Hurricane is the opposite.) I have made it higher since then, and they are content. The tunnel takes up more room than I thought it would, so I'm gonna see how I can rearrange things to give them a large swimming area. Regardless, they get tons of opportunities to climb on plants, their tunnel and basking log, and dig under rocks, which is something they both love more than swimming. (I also am very afraid of drowning my turtles, so their tastes feed into that greatly).

I have no life.


Mathematically speaking:

10 gallon tank that cost $100 = $10 per gallon setup

My 75 Gallon cost $555 = $7.40 per gallon setup

Just food for thought.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:31 am   

135 gallon tank / $100
Stand/ $300

and about $250 to create my own sump, filter, basking area+supplies


$650 or so
StevenAkaProek
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 pm   

Wow, your guys' tanks cost a lot!

I got lucky and only had to pay for my first 20 gallon tank and all of its belongings.

My parents payed for my 55, filter, heater, it was a christmas gift(:
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 pm   

I just got my fluval today! Got for $240 on ebay. I just saved $60!
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:57 pm   

$1000 plus
1 Pearl River Map-Carnage
1 Missisippi Map-Dr.Octopus
1 Western Painted- Cyclops
1 Japanese Pond-Nightcrawler
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
1 Albino Red Corn Snake-Mr. Pockets
1 Bearded Dragon- Havoc(6 fbnewts7fbtoads)
User avatar
pickerbp22
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Location: long island, new york

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 am   

About $400
$35-used 60 G
$100 Stand
$40 River rocks
$60 lights
$90-New Fluval 404 ebay
$20 dock
$15 Drift wood
$40 Heater
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
User avatar
Linus
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:02 am   

fluval fx5- $200
magnum 350 used - $10
Cascade Internal - $50
Volcano- $30
2 Bubble walls- $20
Whisper Pump- $40
125 gal- $100
80 gal- $80
2 Surge Protec- $20
5 Lamps - $75
Wood/Supplies - $200
Fake Plants $50
Python- $60
Water Heaters- $40
2 Docks(no longer used)- $40
Wallpaper- $40

More accurate estimate- $1055

hey i was actually pretty close not bad! some would think oh wow what you could have done with that money. i stand proud in my investment!
1 Pearl River Map-Carnage
1 Missisippi Map-Dr.Octopus
1 Western Painted- Cyclops
1 Japanese Pond-Nightcrawler
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
1 Albino Red Corn Snake-Mr. Pockets
1 Bearded Dragon- Havoc(6 fbnewts7fbtoads)
User avatar
pickerbp22
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Location: long island, new york

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:21 am   

water heater=free
basking dock at pet store=$20
tank=i found it outside my building
basking lamps=free thanks to octopusgirl8
xp3 filter=thanks to i forgot who but idk where he's been
food= so far i spent past 100 dollars on the food and fish
water conditioner=5 dollars

major spending but nothing compared to you guys :wink:
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm   

Rubicon wrote:
theartbook35 wrote:Let's see here...

Basking lamp, artificial plants, basking log, large turtle hut, UV bulb, infared bulb, all came out to be 66 dollars.

The 10 gallon tank plus kit, two bags of SAFE gravel, river rocks, old cactus tunnel that they recently cracked and outgrew, big aquarium rock, all were on sale and cost me 15 dollars.

To me, under a 100 dollars for a tank set up, especially the one I have right now, is awesome to me.

I have different ways of measuring space for turtles, ways that I think are more appropriate in the long run, and as long as I keep to that, I won't have to spend too much on tank accessories. I'm the type who likes to have many reptiles and amphibians, and a lot of the things my turtles outgrow I am using for future set ups. The aquarium rock will go back in with them when they get bigger, but the tunnel is still intact enough that I'll use it for the green tree frog set up, along with the 10 gallon tank and a screen topper I wanna get to make the tank taller. I saw a tall tank recently for 20 bucks, problem is, I like to reuse stuff rather than keep buying something new. (Unless I have a friend who needs a tank badly, I'm keeping mine.)

I need to remember to post up pictures of their current tank. Yes, I am keeping a couple of two inch turtles in a 10 gallon. They still have plenty of room to run around. Even before I got the new set up, which was a week ago, they still would not swim around much, and hated water higher than 1 and a half inches deep. (They have very different likes and dislikes, so, I have to make certain compromises between them. Typhoon hates deep water, and loves to be on land more, and Hurricane is the opposite.) I have made it higher since then, and they are content. The tunnel takes up more room than I thought it would, so I'm gonna see how I can rearrange things to give them a large swimming area. Regardless, they get tons of opportunities to climb on plants, their tunnel and basking log, and dig under rocks, which is something they both love more than swimming. (I also am very afraid of drowning my turtles, so their tastes feed into that greatly).

I have no life.


Mathematically speaking:

10 gallon tank that cost $100 = $10 per gallon setup

My 75 Gallon cost $555 = $7.40 per gallon setup

Just food for thought.


Oh, don't worry, I know how much tanks cost if bought from certain places. So far, I've seen up to 50 gallon tanks at Walmart, of all places, for I think 200 or 300 dollars... Yes, they come with kits, no, I do not use kits, since a lot of the filters that come with tanks end up floating and not doing their job.

I told my dad recently too that when I get my own apartment he's going to keep the turtles. He likes having aquariums more than me. I am a reptile geek, and I have no issue helping him take care of them in the future, like paying for new tank parts and accessories and things of that nature, but he just enjoys setting up tank conditions more than I do. I wish he could get his sharks back, he loves those guys. He'd fill our whole office with nothing but tanks if he could.

By set up I meant that I got all the accessories (plants, tunnel, etc...) plus the tank itself, kit and lamps for under 100 dollars. I like to find materials which will serve their purpose just as well for cheaper prices.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:22 am   

I don't really want to think about it and add it up but I am roughly $2500-2600 into it and will be hitting above the $3000 within a month once I buy a chiller for the summer heat.

Rough break down
custom 300gallon tank -2000 with shipping
custom built metal stand by me -200 for paint, wood, and rubber (metal was free thank god)
Filter -xp4 (180)
decorations -120


this is all pretty rough but if anything I probably undervalued. I am about to buy a 1/3 or 1/2hp chiller since the heat will raise the water temp more than ice can cool it down.


Josh
davis_student
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 1, 2008

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 118 guests