Habitat - Indoor :: When to replace Reptofilter cartridge?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:36 pm   When to replace Reptofilter cartridge?

I'm using a Tetra ReptioFilter with the replaceable cartridge. When should I replace the cartridge? What are some signs? Water seems very clear still. It's been about 7 weeks.
User avatar
easy2putt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:06 am   

Depends on the bio-load of your tank, I'd think. Also, depends on what cartridges
are installed. For mechanical filtration media, you can clean it about monthly or
bi-weekly with heavier bio-load. For activated carbon, you need to replace it
probably bi-monthly. For biomedia, you can rinse in tank water maybe bi-monthly
and replace after one year if not longer.

Perhaps others have different opinion :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 pm   

I had a tetra repofilter and (although I hated it) it was my first filter.
It doesn't do much if you have a tank bigger than 10g.

but, to answer your question, you could just open the lid of the filter and check the filter pad after a couple weeks, and depending on whether the filter is grimy and poopy, you can determine whether you need to change it

or if you see that there is a lot of poop laying at the bottom of the tank, then the filter pad is no longer catching it because it is full. If anything, just check.
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 am   

If I replace the cartridge will the water in the tank get cloudy again? It is crystal clear right now..but I do see floaters and probably poop stuff.

I want to replace the cartridge and remove about 50% of the river rock as well. I like when they dig through the river rock..at least something they can do..so I don't want to take out oo much.
User avatar
easy2putt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA.


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests