Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:00 pm
I purposely put a vine and some small rocks on the basking log that I use for privacy. I know that in the wild, a turtle taking itself out of water exposes it to danger, and even in captivity they'll still want to feel like they are hidden when they bask. (Especially when you walk by their basking area suddenly, that makes them very nervous).
The basking area can be a max of 90 degrees. As long as you use a thermometer, test out how close you can get the light to the rim of the top of the tank. There are some heat emitters which raise the basking temperature to 10 or degrees higher than the room temperature.
Blackforces get you: I can approach the basking area when Hurricane is there, he knows me well. Typhoon on the other hand will get very upset if anyone goes near her when she basks. My mom made me furious the other day because she wanted to see the turtles, and just reached in and pulled Typhoon off the basking log. I yelled at her good for that one. She's tried this again last night and I really let her have it. She'd better leave my babies alone, or they won't want to bask at all.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long