Habitat - Indoor :: What to do about hard/mineral filled water???

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:28 am   What to do about hard/mineral filled water???

Ya after only a few days my turtles shells are turning white. The stuff comes off fairly easy but I know if I let it build up over a few days it would be a bear. I can't clean my turts shells daily. What should I do???
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:49 pm   

you could use a filter, like "PuR" or "Britta" water filters for the water, and that should remove any unwanted mineral deposits in your water. I know, I have the same problem. A water softener is too expensive for most people, but a filter is fairly cheap. You can use an add on to your faucet that will let you swich from filter to non filtered water, and those are relatively cheap.
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 pm   

If you don't have a chlorine/nitrate issue you could use a water conditioner such as Novaqua
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:09 pm   

Yea I was gonna suggest a water softener.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:41 pm   

Your choices are water softner, RO water or distilled water. Evendently you have a lot of disolved solids in your water and the choices are listed above. I use distilled water and RO water and it helps a lot. m.
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mar 29, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 pm   

What is RO water?
2 RES Franklin and Phoebe
1 Kitten- Layla
MissMandy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Connecticut

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:28 pm   

Reverse Osmosis.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:49 pm   

We've got one of those RO things in the basement and the tiny faucet by the sink. Problem is it would take years to fill the tank with that little thing.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 64 guests