Habitat - Indoor :: another mvb question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 am   another mvb question

how exactly should these look when turned on?

when i turn it on, it starts off with a yellow light, like a regular bulb, then eventually its just white like a fluorescent. its still provides some heat i guess, but is that right?

i have it facing down vertically and it's an 100w bulb in a lamp that can handle up to 200w.
nocash27
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 pm   

I don't use mine everyday, so I don't recall the color, but it does take a few minutes to warm up and cool down.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm   

I've been using a MVB for a little under a year now. Mine does the same thing (starts out dimmer/more yellow and brightens/gets whiter up after a few minutes) I have not had any problems with it, I assume it's normal!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm   

yellowish turning to white sounds right to me. the color change is the change from cooler filament light to the brighter mercury vapor. no worries.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:18 pm   

Mine starts out yellow, then goes to a more greenish white tint. MVBs that don't make that change either aren't working correctly or are too old (I have one that's 5 years old that does this).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 173 guests