Habitat - Indoor :: buying supplies for 125 gal. aquarium

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 pm   buying supplies for 125 gal. aquarium

I bought a 125gallon aquarium for my daughter. She has 2 Red Ear Sliders that don't get along. We want to divide the aquarium in half with egg crate. I need to know exactly what I need to do with each half for the health of each turtle.
I was thinking about an outside filter that goes into a cabinet. Is this good or is there something better? How full should the aquarium be? How many gallons should I figure on for the filter?
What kind of lighting do I need for each half? I also need the brand name and wattage that is best for them. Do I need 2 Flourescent lights? What kind of fixture do I use? Where is the best place to get the lights? I also need to know what is reccommended for there basking light?
The last question at this time is heaters. Do I get one to heat the whole aquarium, or 2 for better heat in each half?
The older turtle will be 2 in September. I think it is a female. We call her BammBamm. The younger turtle we are pretty sure of is a male. His name is Goblin. He will be 1 in August.
Will the aquarium be big enough for both of them for life? They are both under 4 inches right now. BammBamm is about 3.75 inches.
BammBamm and Goblin's grandmother
jean
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 1, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:12 pm   

You only need one filter and one heater. But get a filter rated about 400 gph. Ive only ever built my own filters so Im not the best to ask for advice on purchasing one but there are plenty of threads with advice on that. You should fill the aquarium as high as you can without the turtles being able to escape. I saw a picture somewhere ( i just looked for the past 20 minutes for it but no luck, sorry) of someone who had two turtles separated in a tank with eggcrate and built an atba which was placed on the center of the tank with egg crate spliting it down the middle. That way you only need one uvb and one uva bulb that go over the entire basking area! Genius!! I use one of the long florescent tube fixtures (about 22inches long i believe) and i think its a repzilla uvb bulb. a 125 should be plenty big for the two of them. Let me know if you need anymore help!
2 1/2 inch RES Mikey
55 gallon tank
Homebuilt sump filter at around 300 gph
3 African Chiclids in a separate tank.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:20 am   

im buying a filter for my 125 gallon now. im in the process. i'm probably gonna go with the Rena Filstar xp4. very powerful. lot of room for media. decent prices on ebay.
1 Pearl River Map-Carnage
1 Missisippi Map-Dr.Octopus
1 Western Painted- Cyclops
1 Japanese Pond-Nightcrawler
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
1 Albino Red Corn Snake-Mr. Pockets
1 Bearded Dragon- Havoc(6 fbnewts7fbtoads)
User avatar
pickerbp22
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Location: long island, new york

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:09 pm   

I got a 135 gallon

for big size tanks like these, a drilled overflow with a sump is recommended

remember you need gph x 5

for a 125 it's minimum 625 gph

I've got 1,600 gph on mine(minus head loss etc)

it's also much cheaper than buying these filter and you can add much much more media
StevenAkaProek
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 pm   

im confused can you send me a message or something and tell me what you mean. 625 gph minimum?
1 Pearl River Map-Carnage
1 Missisippi Map-Dr.Octopus
1 Western Painted- Cyclops
1 Japanese Pond-Nightcrawler
1 Texas Map Turtle-Flash
1 Savannah Monitor-Timon
1 Albino Red Corn Snake-Mr. Pockets
1 Bearded Dragon- Havoc(6 fbnewts7fbtoads)
User avatar
pickerbp22
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Location: long island, new york


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests