Habitat - Indoor :: question about 120g tank...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm   question about 120g tank...

Ok, so I'm on my way to upgrading Toby to a 120 gallon tank (48" long, 24" wide, 24" tall).

Right now I have 2 55g tanks that are stacked on top of each other on industrial strength shelving (one is Toby's tank, one is my frog tank). So step #1, I bought a 55g stand online from PetCo for $100 (free shipping!) for my frog tank. And step #2, I am going to buy a FX5 for Toby. I actually made an offer on Ebay today for one.

That leaves the last BIG step, which is the 120g tank. I have had no luck finding one on Craigslist, so I want to order one online from PetCo. I can get one with a nice stand for $689.98, which I think is pretty good.

Here is what I need help with: I do not want to order the tank with hoods or glass tops, because I do not need both sides of the tank covered, and you can only order them to cover both sides. I have looked online at every site I can think of, and I can't find any hoods or glass tops that will fit half of a 120g tank (24" x 24"). Can anyone help? I don't care if it is a hood or a glass top, I like both. I have All Glass Versa-Tops on my frog tank with strip lights on top, and it works great. But I can't find one that is 24" x 24". Help!
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:20 pm   

I'm not too familiar with commercial tanks of that size, but do you need to have a hood like that? You can easily get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to that size. You can also add a small handle like Grey Goose did.

As for the tank, Glasscages has that size for $300 and they will be in Chicago and Rockford on March 21. They have an oak stand for $275-325, so I'm not so sure if I would get one from them. The PetCo site has a 120 gallon for $642... tank only, so I think I'm looking at the wrong thing.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:02 pm   

steve wrote:I'm not too familiar with commercial tanks of that size, but do you need to have a hood like that? You can easily get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to that size. You can also add a small handle like Grey Goose did.

As for the tank, Glasscages has that size for $300 and they will be in Chicago and Rockford on March 21. They have an oak stand for $275-325, so I'm not so sure if I would get one from them. The PetCo site has a 120 gallon for $642... tank only, so I think I'm looking at the wrong thing.


Well, I want something that I can open up in the front to drop in lettuce and pellets and to be able to reach into clean, while having a strip light sitting on top of it. I don't want to have to remove an entire cover just to put food in the tank. I plan on covering the other half of the tank with eggcrate for now, and possibly an ATBA area later.

Hmmm... maybe PetCo prices differ with your location? When I do the "build your own aquarium" on their site, I select rectangle, 120g, black trim and it is $429.99. Then I add on the black pine cabinet stand and it is $689.98. Maybe I can just order the stand from PetCo and get the tank from Glasscages.

It might be a couple months before I get the tank, but I want to have everything planned out. I'm just curious where people buy covers for this size of tank, as I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:19 pm   

Why not order the tank from glass cages and build your own stand? All you need is an electric drill. Let home depot do you all the cutting.

In theory you'd come out way ahead with that setup.

BTW I'm a huge fan of 48" long tanks!! Anything 75+ is awesome!! I don't get why people buy these 6 foot long tanks that are impossible to move around.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:56 pm   

Rubicon wrote:Why not order the tank from glass cages and build your own stand? All you need is an electric drill. Let home depot do you all the cutting.

In theory you'd come out way ahead with that setup.

BTW I'm a huge fan of 48" long tanks!! Anything 75+ is awesome!! I don't get why people buy these 6 foot long tanks that are impossible to move around.


After talking with my boyfriend, I think I may do just that. (Or rather, I think HE may do just that, hehe).

I agree with you about the 6 foot long tanks. I find lots of those on Craigslist, but I don't want one that is that long.

Ok, so I think I will order my tank from Glasscages and build a stand, but I still want to find a cover for half of the tank!
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:17 pm   

Well no one really needs a 6' tank, like me, I'll be going with a five footer for Niko when I get the money put together.

I plan on either of the following... L x W x H

60x18x24
60x24x24
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 pm   

IMO the only reason people get 6 footers is because they need the weight spread out over an area... IE an 2nd floor of an apartment or something.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:34 pm   

Another reason people get 6'-0 tanks is when they are dirt cheap. I have one and like it.
1 RES Yertle
2 Painted Miles & Coltrane
bearsphan3.14
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Location: Big Ol' State Of DE


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests