Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval 404 noise?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:30 pm   Fluval 404 noise?

Hey, few quick questions about my 404 filter that I just got. Set it up and works great, but spray is pretty forceful and loud, too loud to sleep with. I need ways to lower the noise. Can the output be underneath the water? That would make it a lot quieter, what about turning off the filter at night? Would I have to prime it in the morning? Oh and last question, if none of these previous options work, would a spray bar dampen the noise a lot? Thanks

Btw, how many hours/days until the filter finally works all the air out of it? It has been about an hour and every 3-5 minutes a little bit of air will spit out.
TehMuff1nM4n
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Feb 15, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 am   

Yes the output can be under water, thats where mine is. Also you can turn the flow down up to 50% with it running. So that could be another option during the night.

One way to make the air escape a little faster is to gently tilt the unit in each direction. At least that's what I did with mine. If it's still doing it. Remove the top and reseat it also ensure all the fittings are tight.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:10 am   

Wow, I wish the manual was worded better, made it sound like you couldn't put output under water, musta just been during priming. It is a lot quieter now. :D
TehMuff1nM4n
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Feb 15, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:54 am   

Yes only while priming. :)
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 am   

That's exactly how I read it when I got my 404, that you couldn't keep the output under water! Perhaps they should re-word the manual :roll:
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:04 pm   

Rubicon wrote:Yes the output can be under water, thats where mine is. Also you can turn the flow down up to 50% with it running. So that could be another option during the night.

One way to make the air escape a little faster is to gently tilt the unit in each direction. At least that's what I did with mine. If it's still doing it. Remove the top and reseat it also ensure all the fittings are tight.


how long until all the air is out? I waited about 18 hours and it is still shooting air sometimes. I turned off the filter and tried to retighten stuff but yea not working so well.

Every 5-10 minutesish you will hear the filter go through air. Is it supposed to do this and how long?
TehMuff1nM4n
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Feb 15, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 pm   

Have you tried tiliting it like Rubicon suggested? That's what I did too when I had mine. Seemed to work, and after about 24 hours most of the bubbles were gone.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests