Habitat - Indoor :: Eating the Zoomed turtle dock.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 pm   Eating the Zoomed turtle dock.

I have a XL Zoomed turtle dock and my male RES is biting away at it. I left them in the care of my grandparents for a week, and in only a week there's a decent size area missing.

Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need to construct one of plexi/acrylic?
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm   

take out the zoo-med dock, and start feeding your turtles some calcium (cuttlebone) works best found in the bird section of your local pet stores, or petsmart/petco
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am   

I had the same problem, but I still use the zoo med dock. I make sure cuttlebone is offered regularly and they've stopped eating the dock. Haven't had a problem now in a couple of years.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 pm   

What is this cuttle bone you guys speak of? Also can it touch water or will it start to dissolve?
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:57 pm   

cuttlebone is the bone of the cuttle fish, it's a great source of calcium. You can find it in nearly any pet store (in the bird supply section). In larger chunks it floats, and the turtles shouldn't have a problem chomping thru its soft texture. I feed my turtle a head sized piece once a week. He usually tears it up within minutes.

You can get visual directions on removing the bone backing (which can cause digestional cuts and other problems) here: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18320
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am   

You can pick up an acrylic basking area, no need to make one :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm   

papoopeepoo wrote:cuttlebone is the bone of the cuttle fish, it's a great source of calcium. You can find it in nearly any pet store (in the bird supply section). In larger chunks it floats, and the turtles shouldn't have a problem chomping thru its soft texture. I feed my turtle a head sized piece once a week. He usually tears it up within minutes.

You can get visual directions on removing the bone backing (which can cause digestional cuts and other problems) here: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18320


Now could I put a large piece in the water or will it dissolve? Or would they just destroy it right away too?
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 pm   

i wouldn't recommend putting in a piece that would serve for more than one serving. First, your tank cleanliness is at stake. Second, you don't want your turtle to ruin its dinner! haha
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 pm   

You could just put the whole thing in there if your turtle doesn't eat cuttlebone like it's going out of style like mine does. I have to moderate the amount of cuttlebone I give him. ;)
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 pm   

My turtle does eat the cuttlebone.~~~~
Last edited by cchipres on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parker's Mom
User avatar
cchipres
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 28, 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am   

cchipres wrote:My turtle desn't eat the cuttlebone.~~~~


mine either :cry:
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 pm   

soak a peice in that water that comes in tuna fish cans. let it sit a couple hours and then give it to ur turt.
2 1/2 inch RES Mikey
55 gallon tank
Homebuilt sump filter at around 300 gph
3 African Chiclids in a separate tank.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests