Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:12 pm
$60 isn't a whole lot. You'll probably spend about $10 on the rubbermaid, the UVB will probably be around $15, and where I am the bottles of reptomin are $10 (though they may be cheaper where you are). For a heat lamp, you can use a regular incandescent bulb, which you may already have around the house, or you can find a pack at the dollar store for $1. So that leaves you with about $30 give or take for the filter. I'm not sure if you'll be able to even find a h.o.t. filter powerful enough for $30, but if you can scrimp and save a bit more, you can find the Fluval 404 pretty cheap on ebay, about $80 new or $60 used. Also, check craigslist, kijiji, or any other local classifieds in your area. There have been a couple good filter finds on craigslist recently, so hopefully you'll get lucky too!
I had an aquaclear 300 for a while (now called aquaclear 70) and it was a reliable little filter.
I think though that with 4 turtles, you're going to need to do a fair number of water changes, no matter what filter you get.
Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."