Habitat - Indoor :: polystyrene as basking area?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:52 am   polystyrene as basking area?

What do you think about using polystyrene as a basking area? is it harmful to the turtle in anyway? (i plan to use it like wood so the turtle can climb up)
thanks!
I have one RES :)
Deon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:47 am   

as long as the turtle doesn't try and eat his basking area, which could be likely, polystyrene should be fine.

just keep a close eye on your buddy the day of and few days following his new arrangement, that's when it's most likely he'll check it out by tasting it.

is your material foam or is it more solid?
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 am   

Is that like Styrofoam? Then I'd say don't use it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 pm   

@ papoopeepoo: I'm not sure what you mean by foam but pieces do break off if i try to break them so i guess the turtle might bite it. I tried covering the sides and edges but i guess it won't work.
@ steve: yeah its like styrofoam i think
thanks alot! i guess i wont use it then.
I have one RES :)
Deon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:02 pm   

Yeah if it breaks that easily when you try to break it, I wouldn't use it.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 pm   

Since it can break or crumble easily, I'd avoid it in favor of something else.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 am   

you could use polystyrene if you epoxied and fiberglassed the outside. It would be a rock hard finish and would still float. You could make any shaped dock this way. You can find articles all over the internet about epoxy resins and fiberglassing foam.
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 am   

I would not use it. If it can be eaten by your turtle .
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 am   

thanks for all the opinions!!
@grem: ty for that idea but i'm no good at those kinds of things and i don't know where its sold in shanghai.
i guess ill just stay away from the polystyrene altogether. ty again
I have one RES :)
Deon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:07 pm   

ive done some fiberglassing over top of foam with model building. If there are big hardware stores in shanghai im pretty positive they would have fiberglass cloth and epoxy. It really is simple. You mix the epoxy (it comes in two parts) and then take a paintbrush, and lay the cloth over top the foam and then "paint" on the epoxy. You could stand on that turtle dock when your finished. Epoxy and fiberglass cloth are really cheap also. People use this same method for constructing huge plywood aquariums. The epoxy dries to a rock hard finish and is aquairum safe. The guys over at http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com use this method all the time. Here's a really cool example of what they can do with plywood, epoxy and fiberglass. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45035&highlight=black+tip+shark
User avatar
grem89
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 am   

cool thanks! sounds really good - the aquarium in the link is amazing.
I'll go looking for fiberglass and epoxy in a couple of weeks after my exams are done.
I have one RES :)
Deon
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Shanghai, China


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests