Habitat - Indoor :: algae? fungus?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:29 pm   algae? fungus?

I have an Egyptian column set-up inside of my tank and have noticed that along the base a grey flakey-ness is growing on the bottom. Other green algae has been in there and I know that fine but has anyone had any experience with this grey growth? Should I scrape it off or let it be?

Thanks for your opinions! 8)
<3 my hank - RES
1 mosaic chinchilla - J.Peterman
1 standard chinchilla - cupcake
1 black lab - markie
User avatar
koreyleigh
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: West Islip, NY

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:40 pm   

ive never seen gray flaky stuff growing. are you sure its not the decoration thats not flaking off?
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:29 pm   

hmm gray flakiness doesn't sound too normal to me. the only time I've seen gray flaky stuffs was when my Zoo Med basking dock was goin' to hell... it was flaking on the bottom so I had to toss it

try scrubbing your decor. and see if more stuff start to flake

X2 AKITA
X2 R.E. SLIDER


Respect
ALL beings.
User avatar
Arisu
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Northern California, USA

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:46 pm   

If I can imagine the description of the grey flakiness, I think that's a kind of algae.
I had that too, attached to the hose for air bubbles and suction cups immersed in
the water. When I added guppies, they ate them all up. The suction cups and
hose appears much cleaner now.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:13 am   

I'll scrub this badboy in the morning -- I hope it's not flaking.. I paid a solid $20 for this thing and I was hoping it'd be quality ;)
<3 my hank - RES
1 mosaic chinchilla - J.Peterman
1 standard chinchilla - cupcake
1 black lab - markie
User avatar
koreyleigh
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: West Islip, NY

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 am   

Hmm that sounds like calcium deposits to me. Should come off easily with a little scrub and a soak in vinegar. White vinegar, not the kind you put on your food lol.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests