Habitat - Indoor :: Monthly maintaince questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 pm   Monthly maintaince questions

I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 RES

I have a Rena Filstar XP-3

I haven't done anything but spot cleaning and a month ahs gone by and some brown algae is forming on the basking dock and glass....

What should I do at this point?
Image
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:13 pm   

I say do a water change. Maybe 25%, but someone who knows more might have a different suggestion.

Also, I believe brown algae is just regular (green) algae that's not getting enough light. They're easier to wipe off too. I wouldn't worry to much about them, but I'd take 'em out if they look ugly.
User avatar
maddpnoi
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sep 22, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:44 am   

Do a nitrate test, and do a 25%-50% water change. As madd mentioned, you can just wipe off the brown algae. It doesn't really cause any harm, but it doesn't look nice :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:03 pm   

Well,I have algae in my tank too,and when I clean my tank I have to make sure to clean my basking dock with hot water,so I can get the algae off.That's where all the algae is.It'll build up,so I have to clean it more often.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:25 pm   

Partial change is a good idea. If you're using any type of chem media, it's probably time to replace.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:27 am   

I agree with everyone! As for the algae, you can get an algae scrubber for the walls. They work wonderfully.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:59 am   

Well,I have algae JUST on my basking dock.How do I get rid of it?
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 pm   

TurtleLover_S&B wrote:Well,I have algae JUST on my basking dock.How do I get rid of it?


Unless you want to get rid of it, just leave it. I have algae on my basking dock, it makes it look more natural so I just leave it on there.

But you just take some kind of scrub brush and scrub it off.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:51 pm   

Chrisbarnett wrote:
TurtleLover_S&B wrote:Well,I have algae JUST on my basking dock.How do I get rid of it?


Unless you want to get rid of it, just leave it. I have algae on my basking dock, it makes it look more natural so I just leave it on there.

But you just take some kind of scrub brush and scrub it off.


Ok,I just didn't know if it was bad to have algae in your tank.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:25 pm   

Algae is a natural part of any aquatic system. It is not going to harm your turtle in any way, it just looks unsightly.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 pm   

Partial water changes are always good if your chemical stuff is high... some peopel though never even do those because with the amount of evaporation it kind of evens things out when you replace water lost.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests