Habitat - Indoor :: Leaving Turtle While Gone!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Who's the Best football team in the ACC?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Virginia Tech!!!!
2
67%
Florida State
1
33%
UNC
0
No votes
Georgia Tech
0
No votes
UVA
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 3

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:54 pm   Leaving Turtle While Gone!!

Hi,

I currently have a Red Ear Slider with me at Virginia Tech. In a week I will be going home for thanksgiving break for an entire week. I was wondering is there anything I can do to leave the turtle at school and not have to carry everything home with me for one week. Can I leave him the fish tablets that you give fish when you leave for vacation? Or is there one like that for turtles?
Secondly in another month, I'll be heading home for winter break, which is five weeks. Once again is there a way I can have the turtle stay here, or am I stuck draining the tank and bring everything home with me. Is it possible for the month that I am gone for winter break to have the turtle hibernate or something?

Thanks,
Andrew Watson
awatson88
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 26, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:35 pm   

you can buy an automatic feeder they sell em at petco and petsmart they are pertty cheezy tho you can always ask some one to go in and feed the little dude.
http://www.petco.com/Shop/SearchResults ... ish+feeder
i dont think the blocks would work just the machines you should also get a electrical strip with a timer!
1 RES -SKWERTERLA (skwert 4 short!)
3 CATS-FELIX, FIG, ZOYBI
User avatar
moldygrape
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Jul 22, 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, california

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am   

Level to a hokies to leave you the best teams.

But to you can answer,the easy and safest thing that you can do is use a Rubbermaid. Tank for a fews.week. But how far is VT from your home?
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:14 am   

buy an automatic feeder. a timer for your lamps. and a surge protector. :) you're set.
Last edited by zoologist on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 am   

I live in Northern Virginia, so it's about a four hour drive.
awatson88
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 26, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am   

I would try to take the turt home, one the main page there is a FAQ that shows you have to travel with your turtle. It is a big risk to leave him alone for 5 weeks even with a timer and auto feeder .
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 am   

Yeah, 5 weeks is way too long, unless you have someone coming by to check on them fairly regularly. In 5 weeks a lot of water will evaporate out of the tank, your turtles could get comfortable with you not being around and get out of the tank, or any number of unforeseeable things.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am   

i agree, too that 5 weeks is too long. a week would be fine with our suggestions.

instead of draining the tank do what Joey said and just buy a large rubbermaid and pack it with your turtle's needs (lamps, food, heater, filter maybe) and unpack and set up when you get home. pretty easy.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
User avatar
zoologist
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 4, 2008
Location: Daytona, Fl


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests