Habitat - Indoor :: Indoor pond

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:51 am   Indoor pond

Hi :)

Has anyone else tried this? I have, but I was curious if others had considered doing it. It's a godsend for anyone whose tank is too small.

I purchased a pond insert from my local garden center and put it in my livingroom. I had large river rocks as a substrate, a floating deck, natural driftwood, live floating plants, a fluval, feeder fish.

I've tried using aquariums before, but they're so expensive, heavy, and are never as big as I'd like. This thing was on sale for $25 and was absolutely enormous!

I used this method to rehabilitate several RES with shell rot and got fantastic results.

I'll post pics if anyone wants to see. I can't right now because I'm not home.
User avatar
sm02
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:48 pm   

I'm very interested in seeing your set up, please post pics when you get a chance!
“Try to be like the turtle...at ease in your own shell”

1 RES: Tank
1 Cat: Tucker
1 Bristlenose Pleco: Cliff
Elsa&Tank
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Apr 1, 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm   

I think there is at least one other person on here who has used an indoor pond. Usually you have to brace the sides, and sometimes underneath.

But you can do great things with them! I'd love to see pics :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 pm   

There are a few who have pre-formed indoor ponds. Sneaky Burrito has an incredible custom made pond in his house.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 pm   

So does The Bean
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:41 pm   

We're considering putting one in when we get our big house (in about ten years). You can really spruce them up and make look it pretty.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 am   

Awesome! I'm at work again. My ISP is down at my house right now. Will post pics when it's up and running again!
User avatar
sm02
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 am   

I have a 7'x4' pond in my living room. It houses 3 RES, 3 Angel Koi, a few really fat gold fish, and a pleco. They all seem to like it. The pond is filtered with a fluval 405. Only problem I have which really isnt a problem is algae. The pond is near a big picture window and gets all of the morning and early afternoon sunlight before the sun passes over the building. Here it is. Not the prettiest but it works.
Image
3 RES, 3 Angel Koi, 3 cats, 1 Indonesian Boxie, 1 Pirhana, and 1 man LOL
HomerJTurtle
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Location: Montana

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 am   

I saw that pic in another post and I loved it! I think it's beautiful! Neat basking area too.

Well I somehow couldn't find a good pic of my pond. I'm sure I took some, but most of what I could find was pics someone else took of me cleaning the thing, LOL.

Here's a cute one of 2 of my little ones sleeping while holding onto their driftwood :) This was just before I stocked their pond with anacharis. Sorry the pics aren't great. This was back in the day before I bought my good camera.

Image


Image

Image
User avatar
sm02
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 am   

Here we go. This was during a cleaning. I'd taken out most of the plants and the RES. I used this to rehabilitate 2 hatchlings. It's about 60 gallons. 60 gallons, 2 hatchlings, only $25!!!! Not bad, considering how much a 60 gallon tank would cost. These RES absolutely thrived.

I also kept small feeder fish in there. It looks baron in this pic because I was in the proces of cleaning. I wish I would've gotten some better photos of it!!! Well, you'll have to wait til next time I have to rehabilitate. And next time, I'm going for an asymetrical insert :)

I didn't make a support around the sides because I didn't feel it needed it. Looking back now, I should have supported it just to be on the safe side.

Image
User avatar
sm02
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:12 am   

I've been thinking of using a pond insert inside the house when my turts get bigger. What would you use to support the sides?
1 male Mississippi Map - Percy
4 pug dogs - Sara, Sadie, Rave & Maesy
2 cats - Sylvestor & Sammy
2 fish tanks
Lots of crested and gargoyle geckos
1 Chahoua gecko
1 Cockateil - Woody
1 sort of understanding hubby!
Pugwinkle
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:56 pm   

That would depend on the water level height, if you have the pond raised, and if there is an accessible dry area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 pm   

Here's a link to all about buildig one.
http://redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 116 guests