Habitat - Indoor :: The good, bad and ugly about Power Strips with Timers

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm   The good, bad and ugly about Power Strips with Timers

Hey Turtle Talk members,

I'm going out of town this weekend. :wink: What has been your experience with powerstrips with timers? Any brands you suggest or want to warn me about? I read a few bad reviews about the Zilla powerstrips.

THANKS ALL! 8)
Till Next Time,

Ronn

1 RES--Lil' Timmy
RonnWilliams
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Rolla & St. Louis, MO

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:47 pm   

I don't have any experience with power strips with timers. I just have experience with the little single-outlet timers that are about the size of a typical power adapter. If I need more outlets with the single-outlet timer, I just plug in a short extension cord to it's outlet and I'm set.

The one I have I picked up from Wallyworld for about 4 bucks and seems to keep pretty accurate time. Easy to set too.
TheBean
 
Posts: 508
Joined: May 22, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:36 pm   

I have the Zilla one, it stopped working a couple weeks ago so now it's just a really expensive powerstrip. Just get the regular household kind, i've never had one break but if it does, it's only a few dollars.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:12 pm   

I've got timers plugged into powerstrips for both my tanks. Then I actually have a extension cord plugged into the timer, and I plug the two lights into that. Never had any problems with it, and I've got the cheapest timers you can get. Never had any problems with them :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 pm   

I've got a fairly generic looking power strip with a timer. I think it was only $12 and has never had a problem. I've got a digital one too, but haven't gotten around to programming the thing. Maybe next year :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:02 pm   

Thanks guys!

I found a cheap basic timer and plugged a regular powerstrip into that.
Till Next Time,

Ronn

1 RES--Lil' Timmy
RonnWilliams
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Rolla & St. Louis, MO

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:43 pm   

I do as you've done---plugged timers into a surge protector/power strip. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm   

I have the Zilla one with 2 built in timers for my bearded dragon and it works fine.
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests