Habitat - Indoor :: Resting Dock Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:10 pm   Resting Dock Question

Hey Guys,
Since I built an Above Tank Basking area for Hurley, we were able to raise the water about an inch from the top. I made a resting dock for him so he will have a place to sleep no too far from the waters edge. Hurley has taken to bask on that rather than go above to his basking area. My question is this, I have the dock about 2-3 inches from the top of the water,

should I lower it to help promote him to bask?

How far from the waters edge should a resting dock be?

This is what he's doing right now!

Image
Dave in NJ
*1 Male RES Hurley 4 yrs old * 3 cats Joe,Jak and Pip * 3 crested geckos Izabella, Lil Lady & Striker (plus 6 baby cresties) * 1 Wife Kristel *
User avatar
donchewliano
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 25, 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm   

What's the water temp at? If it's too warm, he won't want to bask.
But I know some days Frankie just prefers to bask on her underwater platform as well.
How long ago did you make the atba? Don't forget that if it's brand new, it may take him a few days or longer to get used to it.
I wouldn't lower the water just yet.

As for height of the platform, where you've got it looks just right. Low enough for his shell to be covered completely, but easy to take a breath.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 pm   

BullDog wrote:What's the water temp at? If it's too warm, he won't want to bask.
But I know some days Frankie just prefers to bask on her underwater platform as well.
How long ago did you make the atba? Don't forget that if it's brand new, it may take him a few days or longer to get used to it.
I wouldn't lower the water just yet.

As for height of the platform, where you've got it looks just right. Low enough for his shell to be covered completely, but easy to take a breath.


The water is at 75 degrees and the basking area is about 90 (before I built the ATB that's what he preferred).

I built it 3 days ago. Im just worried because he hasn't basked in 3 days.
Dave in NJ
*1 Male RES Hurley 4 yrs old * 3 cats Joe,Jak and Pip * 3 crested geckos Izabella, Lil Lady & Striker (plus 6 baby cresties) * 1 Wife Kristel *
User avatar
donchewliano
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 25, 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 pm   

Just keep an eye on him for the next week. It could be he'll just take a while to get used to it.
It could also be he's basking when you're not looking.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:32 pm   

Aww, he looks so adorable basking on his platform!! Give him a few more days, and then before changing the platform, I'd maybe remove it for a few days to encourage it.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm   

BullDog wrote:Just keep an eye on him for the next week. It could be he'll just take a while to get used to it.
It could also be he's basking when you're not looking.


I doubt he's basking when I'm not looking. The tank is in our living room and we are in there all of the time. Currently I'm between jobs so my lazy [---] is home all day.

I guess I'm just being impatient. I worked hard on that thing and I want him to use it already. He gets so close some times.
Dave in NJ
*1 Male RES Hurley 4 yrs old * 3 cats Joe,Jak and Pip * 3 crested geckos Izabella, Lil Lady & Striker (plus 6 baby cresties) * 1 Wife Kristel *
User avatar
donchewliano
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 25, 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ

Post Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:14 am   

When the water temp in my tank goes above 76F my two girls will sit on the resting ramp and just "soak" with their legs spread out. Don't worry, RES are avid baskers, both in the water and out. I believe the water temp may be a tad warmer near the surface, so with a resting ramp, they can hang out in the warm, shallow water.....
The height looks good. He looks very comfortable.
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests