Habitat - Indoor :: Foam?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:56 am   Foam?

There is a white "foam" around the filter that accumulated today. What the heck is it and is it bad?

I was thinking maybe a filter change would help.

Thanks in advance.
Dormant
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Nov 19, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:35 am   

Foam in the surface usually means dirty water. Do a partial water change and clean the filter. You might need to think about a bigger filter, i don't recall what your setup is like.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:28 pm   

Alright, I'll get on that. I think I need to upgrade to a new filter anyway, maybe I can try and do that tomorrow.
Dormant
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Nov 19, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 pm   

If you get a bubbler that will also help. When there was foam on the surface of my water, my bubbler would clean it away. And my turtles liked the bubbler.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:22 pm   

Doormat -- A larger filter probably is in need. When purchasing a filter/pump get one that will exchange the water in the tank at least 5 times per hour (GPH)
A bubbler may help: it will oxygenate the water and may move some water in still areas. The foaming is probably from dirty water. If you look closely you will see a thin film of oil like substance on/in the water.
mikee
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Nov 4, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 pm   

i loved the air stone, and so did the turtles. They pulled it up every single day, and finally, I gave up. I thought Grey Goose had a good idea, and I buried them in rocks on the bottom of the tank, but they dug them out. Now i have the 2 filter outputs agitating the surface of the water to keep the foam/oilslick at bay.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 am   

Get a weighted one or a suction one if they are pulling it up.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 am   

scripta_elegans wrote:i loved the air stone, and so did the turtles. They pulled it up every single day, and finally, I gave up. I thought Grey Goose had a good idea, and I buried them in rocks on the bottom of the tank, but they dug them out. Now i have the 2 filter outputs agitating the surface of the water to keep the foam/oilslick at bay.


Wow. My turtles hate their air stone. They also ignore it and will never play in it.
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm   

I think my turtles are highly destructive. I love them dearly, and they are sooo naughty. I will get a video of them dismantling the tank.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:07 pm   re: foam

Some have noticed foaming after using too much water conditioner, though that's just another possibility.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 pm   

i cleaned my tank and i haven't had the problem since. =)
Dormant
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Nov 19, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm   

If foam develops and you haven't cleaned the filter or changed some of the media in awhile, that's most likely the reason for it. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:48 pm   

yeah, the filter got a little dirty more quickly than i expected. once i changed it out it was fine again. :p
Dormant
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Nov 19, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests