Habitat - Indoor :: River rocks Ok for turtle tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:27 pm   River rocks Ok for turtle tank?

A few years ago I bought a bunch of river rocks. They are fairly large ~ I don't know exactly how big, but I can hold about 5 or maybe 6 in the palm of my hand. These are the rocks you see in craft stores all of the time. They are different shades of brown & polished very smooth. Real rocks, not the decorative glass.

Anyhow, this may be a dumb question :oops: but is it Ok to add them to the turtle tank? Has anyone ever heard of toxic materials being used on these rocks?

The container simply states, "River rocks, 5lbs."

*By the way, I know all of the cons for having rocks ~ but these are too big for my turtles to eat & I don't plan on covering the entire bottom of the tank. Just want to add a few :wink: Thanks
taylormaid
 
Posts: 26
Joined: May 4, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:27 pm   

I have some largish, smooth rocks dug from the yard in my son's map hatchling tank. I scrubbed them well (no soap - just a tiny bit of diluted bleach), rinsed them, let them dry for a day or 2 & put them in. I think most folks on here have some kind of decorative rocks in their tanks.

The biggest issue is keeping the bottom clean around the rocks. Old food & waste get caught up around the rock & builds up if you don't get it well. I make it a point to move the rocks daily when we use the tube to suction up the bottom of the tank. If you're willing to clean them well before hand (& around them later!) I see no reason why you shouldn't use them.
Tamara
9" f pen cooter-Liza; 5" m RES-Mercer
5.5" f ornate dbt-Lucy
2 3/4" missi map-Jimi; 1.5" painted-Bob
1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird, 3 kids, 1 hubby

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"
--Mark Twain--
User avatar
FLhaven4strays
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Holiday, FL

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:58 pm   

Yeah, I am assuming they are Ok, but wanted to double check. Thanks for the reply =)
taylormaid
 
Posts: 26
Joined: May 4, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:18 pm   

I've bought river rocks in a craft store (Michaels) and some bags do say on the label that they're not for aquarium use. Others say they can be used in aquariums. They look pretty much the same, so I don't know what the difference is. As a precaution, I've just bought the ones that said they were aquarium safe. If the ones you bought didn't say they couldn't be used in aquariums, I would think, with a good cleaning, that they'd be OK.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm   

Rocks are nice decoration, but make sure you get ones big enough that they can't be moved around easily, i've head from people that they can damage your tank since its made of glass and too much bumping and impact with the rocks can weaken the bottom of your tank.
jasmiester
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sep 30, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests