Page 1 of 1

puffy eyes?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:50 am
by turrbee
i am wondering what 'puffy eyes' look like?
i saw it in the "feeding sticky"
i am not sure if my turtles have it.......?!
:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 pm
by grey goose
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... 5&start=15

Here's a shot of one of three turtles...lucky for me (and them) it's looking more and more like irritation brought on by a new water conditioner I used when I put them in their new tank. I treated them with turtle eye drops and dry-docked them for up to three hours a day. All are recovering nicely.
However, if you guy is showing other symptoms, like not eating or being active it could be something worse....like RI or a vit. A deficiency. If that's the case, he'll need a vet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 pm
by Muirner
What kind of water conditioner did you use before that response came? My issue seems to be clearing up as time goes on...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:10 pm
by grey goose
It's called Aqua Plus. Here's a pic of it from another thread:
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6422

I'm 99% sure that stuff caused the reaction....however, jenaero's been using it with no probs.....my guys are going back into the tank shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:02 pm
by turrbee
hmmmm..
so unless they show irritation
or the eyes are not puffy?
HAHAH
wut im trying to say their eyes are originally puffy
so how can u tell from normal :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:58 am
by industrial_girl_2000
I'm not fond of water conditioners. When I change the water, I add tap water + calcium block + waste degrader, then let the charcoal filter run for a coupla hours before I add Sheba back in.

FYI: Charcoal is what they use in those Brita water filters to remove the Chlorine. Brita water is what I drink (I'm a big water drinker & am very sensitive to Chlorine-taste) & what I use for my frog & fish when I change their water. So far, it has worked out great. Of course, I use Brita, but Pur or any other style water filter that uses charcoal works the same way. :)