Page 1 of 1

When you say "puffy eyes"....?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:45 pm
by JNZBCBnLIL
When I read about people saying "puffy eyes" could possibly mean there is something wrong with an RES.... can anyone tell me what that might look like? My turtles actual eyes aren't puffy- but the area around them is...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:51 pm
by jenaero
That had me concerned at the beginning too. They're already naturally kind of puffy. Take a close look at what they look like now so you'll be able to tell the difference if they really puff up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that usually with puffy eyes comes a pinkness to the eyelid so it might be easier to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:12 pm
by grey goose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:11 pm
by marisa
I haven't really noticed a pinkness to the lid, more white actually. The ones in the above link are really swollen and actually closed, more than just puffy (there is a difference).

The eyes do protrude a bit, and maybe this is what you're thinking of when you say the area around them looks puffy? My turtle's eyes sometimes appear to have a bit more "fleshiness" around them, usually when they've been out of the water for a while (basking, for example) and the skin is a bit dehydrated.