General Care Discussion :: Quick answer please. How cold is too cold?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 pm   Quick answer please. How cold is too cold?

I just cleaned out my turtle's tank and replaced it with new water. Not really thinking about it, I replaced it with cold water. Well the heater is on, but it's taking forever. It says it's at 72 right now. I've already put my few fish back in and they seem to be fine, but I'm afraid to risk it with my turtle.

It feels pretty cold to me and I don't want him to get shock from the cold temperature. Is he going to be ok until the heater adjusts the temperature correctly? Or do I have to wait for it to get warmer?
User avatar
Billy Black
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:17 pm   

Oh, and the reason why I asked for a quick answer is because he's kinda sitting out in the open right now. I've got a light shining on him, so he's mostly basking, but I can't really leave the room when he's out like that.
User avatar
Billy Black
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:31 pm   

I think he'll be fine, but he's also ok basking while it heats up.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
User avatar
flutterby
 
Posts: 886
Joined: May 26, 2005
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 pm   

You can always put a wet towel in the container with him so he can burrow under if he wants. That's what's suggested when traveling with turtles.
My babies: Tanner (RES), MR. Prissy & Ringo (budgies), Shinju (cockatiel)

"Little dudes are just eggs, we leave 'em on the beach to hatch, and then — koo-koo ka-choo! — they find their way back to the Big Ol' Blue"
User avatar
CountryGirl68
Senior Member
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:47 pm   

Thank you. The temperature says 74 now. I put him in, and he seems to be doing fine.
User avatar
Billy Black
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Virginia


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 216 guests