General Care Discussion :: Vitamin suppliment

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:38 pm   Vitamin suppliment

I've had my turt 3 years (thought it was 4 but I'm old and lose track of time lol). Anyway, I've never given him a multivitamin with D3, but I've read on here he needs one. Also, if it's in powder form, how does it stay on the food when the food is in the water? Thanks :)
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
User avatar
Shavannah
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 23, 2006
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:48 pm   

If your turtle is healthy and getting a balanced diet, he doesn't really need one. Why do you think he needs one?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 pm   

I wasn't sure if I did. I was just reading a lot on here, and it was mentioned a few times. He is getting a balanced diet and the appropriate amount and type of lighting. Thanks for answering my concern, marisa. :D
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
User avatar
Shavannah
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 23, 2006
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 pm   

Are you sure you read multivitamin and and not calcium? The only supplement I currently giving my turts occasionally is powdered calcium---plain in the summer and one with Vit D added in the months when they're indoors. And I don't do it every day. They get a pretty balanced diet and their shells are hard and look good, so I'm not going to fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

The need for calcium is somewhat greater in hatchlings, and I could see a calcium supplement being used regularly with a turtle that appeared to be having shell problems.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:08 pm   

My turtle is indoors year-round, I don't have a space outdoors for a pond unfortunately. I give him a few small pieces of cuttlebone a couple times a week. Should I not give him that? His shell is hard and looks good. What veggies supply the calcium he needs?
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
User avatar
Shavannah
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 23, 2006
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:15 pm   

The cuttlebone is fine. I provide it daily to some of my turts. My RES (4 years old) doesn't eat it all at once, so I keep several pieces floating in his tank and replace them as he eats them. Some of my eastern painteds are the same. I have two, however, who usually crunch the pieces down. I give them a certain amount each day, and when they've eaten that, they have to wait until the next day to get more.

About the best plant sources of calcium are dandelions and duckweed (an aquatic plant).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:41 pm   

Ok, that's good. I was concerned I wasn't giving enough or giving too much. I appreciate all you help! :D
1 RES "Gandalf the Green" or "Turty" for short
3 Kitties "Kipper" "Slinky" "Yuki"

'Where will wants not, a way opens..'-Dernhelm
User avatar
Shavannah
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 23, 2006
Location: Ohio


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests