Page 1 of 2

Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 pm
by MikeCL
I've noticed that my RES will sometimes go up and down the basking platform a few times say like in a hour maybe like 4-5 times.. wont stay up that long then slides down..

On the days that she does stay up long it might be a few hours.. I caught her once sleep but she quickly woke up.

I was just wondering if anyone who has this type of tank topper have seen the same behavior?

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm
by steve
I don't have a topper, but my RES do something similar. RES also have an internal clock, they'll figure out feeding times and come down waiting to be fed. Pretty remarkable :)

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 am
by MikeCL
Mine went crazy yesterday when I gave her carrots lol

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 am
by steve
Yea, my female RES gets really hyped when she thinks she'll get something to eat. She starts splashing water all over the place and gives me a death stare :D

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm
by MikeCL
crazy since I have been back from vacation sure she was scared of me at first darting away as soon as I came to the tank but now she lets me rub the top of her head now without going back into her shell like before the vacation.

I still think it's pretty cute she will climb up into the basking area to look at me then go back down into the water again.. she will do this a few times if I'm sitting in the area

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:51 pm
by steve
It's nice when they get used to you... though they still get skittish sometimes.

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 pm
by MikeCL
I’m wondering when I move up to the 75g I’m going to have to do a custom basking area?

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 am
by steve
It's not a big deal really. There are lots of options and the simple ones looks pretty good. What basking area do you have now?

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 am
by MikeCL
Pen plax topper

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm
by steve
There are some ways to modify it to work with a larger tank, though it might soon be too small and you'd want a different design. There are also different options depending on how much water you will have in the tank. If you have a full tank, you can build a simple structure that sits on the tank rim.

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:03 pm
by MikeCL
Question about this tank topper again it seems like she has a hard time going up the ramp sometimes most of the time she is just in the water but at least twice I caught her sleeping in the topper but that's only because I was at my computer and the screen faces the tank so it kept her up.. However on a normal time she wont spend hours like how other people have said their RES stays in the basking platform.. My water temp is 78F Is the water temp too high? I don't have a adjustable thermostat for it.

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 pm
by litefoot
May have to modify the ramp to help make it easy . Use some cork sheeting maybe for a better grip ?

What's the basking temp. Most keep it 10* above the water temp , so water is your 78* then basking area 88* so to entice her to bask.

What's being used to read the temps ? Is it still accurate ? I like the "IR" type very accurate !


Water temp is ok , with some old adults they can do 75* well but not babies or juvnilles they like 78* - 80*.

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 pm
by MikeCL
I'm using a digital probe in the water type the basking temp I dont have the IR reader with me right now.

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 am
by steve
Do you have a picture of how it's set up?

Re: Basking tank topper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:07 pm
by MikeCL
Sorry to get back so late expecting my first child very soon so trying to get everything setup but a picture of the tank topper or something else?