Page 1 of 1

Traveling.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:37 pm
by megcornell
Hi Everyone,
I have sort of a hard decision to make and I'm looking for input on it. I live in NY but for the summer I will be going to Denver. And as tempted as I am to take my hatchling Leo with me, I worry that the trip will be much too stressful... so I am most likely going to leave him with my friend staying on campus who owns geckos and is very willing to learn how to turtle-sit Leo.
I was just wondering, because I'm so scared that he'll die (and I'm a bit overprotective of my baby), how finicky are baby turtles to new settings? He'll be moving to the apt. that I'm living in next year, but I just worry that he won't eat or something. As of right now he's doing very well (i think)... he eats, basks, swims... seems to be having a great time, and so I guess I'm just a bit of a worrywart and want to make sure that leaving him with a friend is the best decision...

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 pm
by sonyj
I think leaving him in NY for the summer would be the best choice, although probably the hardest for you to do. :) The journey would be stressful for him, plus getting used to a new set-up once there, and then back again in the fall. It wouldn't be the best for him. Although, there is a chance that after moving to the apartment with your friend, he may go through an adjustment period and not eat for a few days until he's adjusted. This would be perfectly normal, but he should be fine within a few days to a week though. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 pm
by megcornell
thanks sonyj, that's what i thought too, i just wanted to make sure... I'm sure my guy will be fine

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:44 pm
by steve
How are you travelling and how long will you be gone for? If you have decided to leave your RES behind, make sure you leave behind a feeding list and schedule. Also, find a good vet in NY and give your friend their contact info in case of emergencies.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:20 pm
by megcornell
I am flying to Denver and my boyfriend is driving... so we would have two choices for how to get Leo out west. We're going for the whole summer (June-August) for internships... as far as if I leave Leo with my friend, I've already printed his "instructions" and labelled all of his supplies as well as purchased extra filter cartridges and bulbs in case he needs them over the summer. We have a good herp vet on campus, so that won't be a problem either... I just feel bad leaving my Leo behind, but I'm assuming that would be the least stressful option right?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:40 pm
by steve
It's really up to you. Did Leo adapt quickly? Would the airline allow you to bring him? It does sound like you have a good solution regarding leaving him behind.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:56 pm
by Brianthedog18
Hey, you stole my turtle's name! lol

But seriously, I think leaving the turtle there would be best. I unfortunately have to move my turtle back and forth around 4 times a year (to school, home for winter break, back to school, and back home for the summer). I hate doing it because it might cause a lot of stress, but I think Leo my is OK, because he never has trouble eating, he seems to adjust rather quickly.