Page 1 of 1

Slight bulges on turtle's shell. Normal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:14 pm
by winchesterbee
I have noticed slight bumps on my turtle's shell. I feed him pellets with a little bit of protein (bugs, small shrimp) once every two days. Is this normal, or should I change something?

Image

Re: Slight bulges on turtle's shell. Normal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:35 pm
by steve
Those are usually from excessive or irregular feedings. It should smoothen out somewhat over time. How much is he getting when you feed him?

Re: Slight bulges on turtle's shell. Normal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:03 pm
by winchesterbee
steve wrote:Those are usually from excessive or irregular feedings. It should smoothen out somewhat over time. How much is he getting when you feed him?


I've read that a turtle should be fed with an amount that should fit its head along with its neck. So I've been estimating, and I've been feeding him approximately that much.

Re: Slight bulges on turtle's shell. Normal?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:27 pm
by steve
For a hatchling, go by the 2/3 of a head (no including neck) amount. Older RES I would go between 1/2 to 1/3 in addition to veggies in a varied diet.