Page 1 of 1

Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:37 pm
by unclejoe
I just took Philbert out of his tank for some sunshine when I noticed his shell looking like this. I suspect that this is the beginning of him peeling his Scutes?

Can someone comfirm? Also if he is shedding do I have to offer him anything diet wise to help him along?

Thank for advice and tips,,

Image



Image

Re: Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:23 pm
by steve
Looks like some shedding starting. There is a bit of roughness to his shell, I'm not sure if it fungal or bacterial related.

Re: Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 am
by unclejoe
how do I know if it's either condition and what do I do about it?

the Day before yesterday I was admiring how shiny black his shell was as he was swimming around, I take him out and wipe him with a paper towel almost daily to help keep the light grey build up off his shell. Someone told me it was lime and calcium I was seeing on my tank. Yesterday he looked completely normal. When I took him out today well I guess yesterday now, His shell looked like this. He has always had a white Jagged line in his top middle scute there.. I asked about it before and you said his shell was fine. I will see if I can locate a picture of it that I took a few weeks back. Anyway this is how his shell looked after I had him sitting in this container in the sun for about 15 mins. So he was really dry in this picture.

Re: Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:39 am
by unclejoe
Dry

Image


Image


Wet

Image

Image

The gray stuff on his shell has disappeared since I started wiping him with a paper towel daily. I wish I had a picture of him on Friday, I was just admiring how good he looked.. His shell was shiny almost black and his red stripes on his legs are much more sharper.. His legs were sort of covered in gray film for a bit too, but I honestly think he shed his leg skin, cause his skin looks so much nicer.

If you want me too I will try and get a pic in better lighting but its hard now.

Oh and I see this kind of like peeling look even when he is wet in the tank.. I noticed that when I put him back in after yesterday's sunbathing session..

These pics were taken Dec 16/2015 so about 6 weeks ago..

Re: Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:09 pm
by steve
I'll try to look up some examples for you check put. Though they can get mineral deposits, you just don't really see it much.

Re: Is Philbert Beginning to Peel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:30 pm
by steve