Page 1 of 1

Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:18 pm
by MacTur
So I got two turtles, both about four years old. Nessie (6in) and Leviathan (5in). I was pretty sure both were females but resently I saw Leviathan fluttering at Nessie. They both seemed awfully into it, so my question is this: is Levi a male or a lesbian turtle? :msgreen:

Image

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:03 pm
by steve
Females flutter, usually to send a warning. It has been years though since I last saw my female do it.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:07 pm
by MacTur
Is there anything more specific to look for when sexing? That's Levi in the pic. His claws aren't all that long and his cloaca is fairly close to it's shell. When I got him I thought it was a male, but when it got bigger I was sure it was a female. Now I'm not sure at all. Thanks, Steve

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:09 pm
by MacTur
I don't even know what pronouns to use...
[Update]
Image
That what Levi has been doing. It goes up to Nessie and does its sexy dance to her. It's kindda cute.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 pm
by Joddog
Levi is a girl.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:59 pm
by MacTur
Why does she harass the other girl like that then? Is she annoyed or into her or what? I'm so confused :shock: Could this mean anything?
Thank you for helping me out, guys.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 am
by steve

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:50 am
by MacTur
Pretty sure it's girl, now. I guess she's just a bit... 'special'.
Thank you for the help, guys. I'm new in the forum and I really like it.
:3

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 am
by steve
How big is the tank? Maybe they're competing for space/food.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:06 pm
by MacTur
There's always plentty veggies on their reach, so doubt that's it. However, their tank might be a bit small for them now. I bought it a few months ago thinking it was huge... That could be it. I'm planing on building a pond on back yard soon enough.
Thank you as always, brother.

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 am
by steve
Just keep in mind, they sometimes become more aggressive when moving into new space. Not sure why, but you will need to always keep an eye open for aggression. I'm also hoping to see a build thread :D

Re: Do females flutter, or do I suck at sexing?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:23 pm
by MacTur
Of course I will! It's a bit of a Summer project and I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks, Steve