Page 1 of 1

How to do a "regular checkup" ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm
by jgreerberube
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how one would do a self-checkup for their turtle. This would include any possible diseases starting to occur, their skin and shell condition, weight, everything. :) Also, how often should it be done?

I thought about it, and asked myself, "What would a vet look for?" I came up with pyramiding, MBD, obese, and nothing else... I know (or think) there's more then that? It would be great to know how to check for those things as well.

**This definitely wouldn't replace a vet visit for a regular checkup, rather give you the knowledge as to when to take your turtle to the vet.

Re: How to do a "regular checkup" ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 pm
by steve
This is a great idea. I'd say look at the coloring... skin, shell, and inside the mouth. Check the clarity of the eyes. Review the diet. Examine every nook and cranny on the shell. Any issues recently? Have they been resolved? What was the cause?

Was filter maintenance done regularly? Water changes? UVB light replacement?